The Himalayan Times : Beijing arrests more people after clash that killed 21 - Detail News : Nepal News Portal

Full News

Beijing arrests more people after clash that killed 21

  

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BEIJING: Police have arrested more suspects in connection with a clash between authorities and assailants that left 21 people dead in China’s western region of Xinjiang, state media reported today.

Eight suspects already were in custody following last Tuesday’s clash, which killed 15 police officers and local officials and six assailants. Authorities described the gang as terrorists. The death toll was the highest for a single incident in months in Xinjiang, which sees recurrent outbreaks of violence pitting members of the Turkic Muslim Uighur (pronounced WEE’-gur) group against the authorities and majority ethnic Han Chinese migrants.

China Central Television said Monday that another group of suspects had been captured and interrogated, though it didn’t say how many. It said explosives also were seized. The report quoted the state anti-terrorist office and Meng Hongwei, the vice public security minister.

Meng was quoted by the official Xinhua News Agency as saying authorities had discovered a stash of homemade explosives, ‘lethal weapons’, and flags promoting the independence of Xinjiang, referred to by Uighur activists as East Turkistan. Xinhua said Meng vowed an ‘iron-handed crackdown against terrorism’, saying police would use ‘every possible means to find and punish terrorists with no mercy’. Also today, CCTV broadcast images of a memorial service for the police and officials killed in the clash. It said Meng attended the service, along with more than 1,000 people from local party and government departments.

Xinhua quoted Xinjiang Governor Nur Bekri as saying the incident was ‘not about ethnic or religious issues, but a terrorist act to split the motherland and undermine national unity’.

Full Name

Email Address

Location

Leave Comments


Enter Character above

I accept terms of use.