BIRATNAGAR: The Ramgunj Irrigation System (canal) is going to be built with World Bank cooperation in Sunsari district under the Sunsari Morang Irrigation Project.
World Bank will provide 80 percent of the total cost of Rs. 100 million and the rest 20 percent will be borne by the Nepal government.
The system will be handed over to the local farmers after construction. The project will irrigate 7,000 hectares of land, said Divisional Engineer of the Project Kaushal Kishor Jha.
A similar Sitagunj Irrigation System built at a cost of Rs. 70 million has been already handed over to the locals.
A 53 km canal was constructed in Chatara with aid of Indian government 40 years ago and it was named Sunsari Morang Irrigation Project after handing over to Nepal government.
The project has been making maintenance and cleaning up but there are many problems, say technicians.