The Himalayan Times : Climbers make peace with guides after Everest brawl - Detail News : Nepal News Portal

Full News

Climbers make peace with guides after Everest brawl



According to Liz Hawley‚ a renowned Everest historian‚ this sort of violent incident was 'very‚ very rare'

KATHMANDU: A trio of European climbers has made peace with a group of Nepali guides working on Mount Everest after a ‘terrifying’ high-altitude brawl that sparked a police investigation, officials said today.

Ueli Steck, a Swiss national famed for his climbing records, and Simone Moro of Italy, who has climbed the world's highest peak four times, had a bust-up with the guides near the summit of the world's highest mountain on Saturday.

An American eyewitness, speaking to AFP by teleph-one on condition of anony-mity, said Steck, Moro and British photographer Jona-than Griffith were asked to wait on the mountain while the group of Nepalis rigged up some ropes.

The witness said the Europeans, who were trying to climb the 8,848-metre mountain by a new ‘undisclosed’ route without supplementary oxygen, ignored the request and carried on. "The Sherpas told the team not to climb above them while they were fixing the ropes but they did it anyway. Then some ice fell and hit the Sherpas, which made them angry," said the eyewitness.

Later in the day, a furious group of Nepalis stormed up towards the climbers' tents and pelted them with stones until the men came outside, after which a loud argument ensued and punches were allegedly thrown. "It was terrifying to watch – they nearly got killed," the eyewitness said.

Moro, in a statement on his website describing events, said it was ‘highly unlikely’ that any ice had fallen as a result of his group. He said he had been attacked by an ‘out-of-control mob’. “They became instantly aggressive and not only punched and kicked the climbers, but threw many rocks as well," said the statement, which indicated the clash took place at Camp Two at an altitude of 6,500 metre.

The statement added that Moro's group had caused no interference for the Sherpas who were fixing the ropes, which they do each year so that hundreds of other summit hopefuls can access the mountain.

Police near the world's highest mountain were investigating the incident and mediation meetings between the cli-mbers and the local Sherpas took place on Monday afternoon, officials told.

"Both parties apologised to each other and ended the meeting amicably," Surendra Sapkota, an official at Nepal's Tourism Ministry told. "The three men have decided to resume their ascent," he said, adding that the Nepali government would issue a code of conduct for climbers and mountain staff to prevent future fighting.

Liz Hawley, an American journalist and renowned Everest historian, told AFP that this sort of violent incident was ‘very, very rare’.


Sounds very silly and foolish on the part of Sherpa guides who earn their living by guiding the mountaineers and should be grateful that their community's prosperity is largely due to the goodwill and money they earn from them, try to kill them by throwing rocks. Some misguided persons must have instigated them. Govt. of Nepal and Sherpa Community who pockets big royalty and earnings should thoroughly investigate and severely punish those found guilty who have tarnished Nepal's image irrepairably. It is like killing the `golden goose' by greedy owners??? kbmadhav, Kathamndu

Full Name

Email Address


Leave Comments

Enter Character above

I accept terms of use.