HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE
KATHMANDU: The Kathmandu Valley witnessed as many as four incidents of industrial and residential fire today.
According to the Metropolitan Police Commissioner’s Office, Kathmandu saw two incidents, while Lalitpur and Bhaktapur reported one each.
At Koteshwor, the rented room of Ketan Puri of Dang caught fire due to cooking gas leakage at around 7.15 am, destroying two gas cylinders and other stuffs. Puri managed to escape unhurt. Police together with locals contained the fire in 10 minutes.
In a separate incident, Sharan Shahi suffered minor burns when he tried to put out fire in his Balambu-based house in Kathmandu. Property damage was not reported in the incident.
In Lalitpur, fire destroyed 200 cubic feet of logs at the Lagankhel-based Bira Furniture while workers were seasoning logs at around 11.25 am, officials said, adding they are collecting details of the losses. Police personnel and a fire engine extinguished what they called short circuit-induced blaze.
In Siruwatar, Bhaktapur, fire engulfed the mud house of Ratna Bahadur Shrestha, destroying property worth over Rs 1.2 lakh. Police personnel and a fire engine extinguished the inferno in about two hours. Police said food grains and furniture were destroyed in the incident, though there were no injuries. According to firefighters, the incidents could have turned disastrous had they not acted on time.
Officials at the Juddha Barun Yantra lamented that they have been finding it tough to deal with emergency situations during the dry season due to the lack of resources and adequate water supply coupled with traffic congestion. JBY has 35 firefighters and four fire engines — three in Kathmandu and one in Bhaktapur — while Lalitpur has none.