DR DWARIKA P SHRESTHA
n I am a 29-year-male and I have problematic facial skin. I am still prone to pimples and acne. The problem is that during summer my face
becomes oily and I have been using normal soap for
removing oils and during winter it becomes dry. For moisturising purposes I use the moisturising cream
available in the market, but to my dismay I get pimples and acne. I wash my face twice a day during winter and three to four times during summer. How can I get rid of this skin problem so that I can ameliorate my facial skin complex? Seeking for your suggestion.
You have a very common skin problem. It is quite normal that our skin is less dry in summer and drier in winter. It is important that you have basic knowledge about oiliness, pimples and their prevention.
Oily face is a constitutional feature, in other words it has some hereditary base. On the face, the forehead, nose and the naso-labial folds, the’ T-zone’, are oily; while the lower half of the face is dry. Oiliness of the face is the main cause of pimples. Pimples present usually as white and black heads, red papules, which if not taken care of leave scars.
Here are simple rules to take care of the oiliness and the dryness.
• Wash your face with normal soap in the morning and evening. You should apply soap only on the T-zone, that is, forehead, nose and naso-labial folds. Do not apply excessive soap.
• Washing twice a day in summer and once a day in winter will be enough.
• Do not use oily creams on the upper part of the face and during summer.
• Use mild moisturiser (such as lotions) only on
the lower half of the face
• Take a simple and normal diet. The role of diet in oily skin is contradictory. But is always beneficial to take a diet with low sugar and fat. I would suggest a normal Nepali diet with an added fruit and a green vegetable. You should strictly avoid
If you happen to have pimples, then they have to be treated with creams/gels containing antibiotics, Vitamin A derivatives or comedolytic agents, always under dermatological supervision. Never squeeze pimples.