KATHMANDU: The four major parties – Unified CPN Maoist, Nepali Congress, CPN UML and UDMF – have inked a historic five-point deal clearing the decks for the promulgation of the new constitution on late Thursday evening.
The five point deal is as follows:
1. To form a national consensus government under the leadership of Baburam Bhattarai within two days in accordance with the previous seven-point pact.
2. To resolve the prickly issues including the forms of governance and federalism within three days and in case the disputes remain unresolved, they will be sorted out through voting
3. The new constitution will be promulgated before May 27, Baburam Bhattarai will tender his resignation prior to this and then NC will lead the government afterwards.
4. NC-led government will conduct the general election within a year.
5. The parties will resolve the remaining issues of peace process and constitution drafting.