HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE
NEPALGUNJ: A massive fire engulfed Nepalgunj’s main bazaar Dhambojhi Chowk and destroyed 14 shops including groceries, electronics and hotels on Sunday night.
According to the preliminary investigation, property worth Rs 25 million was gutted in the blaze. As the fire broke out at midnight, it had caused huge loss of property.
Lal Bahadur BK, proprietor of the Sushmita Fancy Store, said that the inferno had turned mobile sets, watches, clothes and furniture into ashes, adding that property worth Rs 1 million owned by him was completely destroyed in the flames.
DSP Prem Bahadur Basnet said the fire had started due to electric short circuit. Three fire engines from Nepalgunj Municipality and Civil Aviation Authority had put out the fire at 8 am today morning. Fire victims bemoan that they had to incur heavy loss as the fire fighters arrived one hour after the fire started.
Similarly, Sunil Cold Store owner Sunil Kumar Gupta said that had the fire fighters arrived on time they would not have incurred such massive loss. Personnel of the Nepali Army, Nepal Police joined locals in dousing the fire.
Nepalgunj chapter of the Federation of Nepalese Chambers of Commerce and Industry chairman Krishna Prasad Shrestha said that traders were busy in control the fire throughout the night. He urged the district authorities to purchase a new fire engine for Nepalgunj. He also demanded an investigation into the incident and due compensation to the victims.