HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE
KATHMANDU: Panic spread in Kamalpokhari area in the Capital today as a fire broke out in the basement of Kamalpokhari-based City Centre business complex.
The fire started at around 1 pm after there was a short-circuit in the backup generator that was kept at the underground parking lot, said DSP Dhiraj Pratap Singh, spokesperson for Metropolitan Police Range, Hanumandhoka .
The 250 KVA generator, two sets of Diesel Generator Control Panel Board and cable system worth Rs 12.5 million were gutted in the fire. Shoppers and shopkeepers panicked and rushed out of the building after learning that the centre was on fire. It took three hours for six fire engines and more than 250 security personnel from Nepali Army, Nepal Police and Armed Police Force to extinguish the blaze.
Vehicular movement along the Kamalpokhari-Gyaneshwor road section was halted for more than three hours.
Nepali Army said it had deployed its two fire engines, a water truck and 71 security personnel to extinguish the fire. Police said no one was injured in the incident. The fire did not damage any vehicle parked in the