Nepal | May 25, 2020

‘Contractor’s negligence responsible for collapse of Jabdighat Bridge’

Sabin Mishra
Share Now:
Babai River bridge collapse

A view of the caved in Jabdighat Bridge over Babai River in Guariya, Bardiya, on Monday, August 14, 2017. Photo: Damodar Bhandari

Kathmandu, September 11

The government’s study panel has found that Pappu Construction — the contractor that built the Jabdighat Bridge over the Babai River in Bardiya — deviated from the design approved by the government during the construction process of the bridge, which resulted in its collapse during heavy floods on Babai River on August 21.

The probe panel formed by the Department of Roads (DoR) has concluded that the contractor had not followed through on the design approved by the government during construction of the 425-metre-long bridge.

According to Ayodhya Prasad Shrestha, coordinator of the probe panel and chief of Mid-western Regional Road Directorate Surkhet, the contractor’s negligence is one of the major reasons for collapse of the bridge even before it had been handed over to the government authority.

“In our preliminary study, we found that the distance between the pillars of the bridge is inconsistent to the approved design. The gap between the pillars should have been 25 metres, but the contractor was not mindful about maintaining the gap and had constructed the pillars at distance ranging from 22 metres to 26 metres,” informed Shrestha.

While the contractor had informed that only pillar number 15 had collapsed due to the floods, the panel found that pillar number 13 had also suffered cracks. Likewise, the probe panel has also said in its initial report submitted to the DoR on September 4 that the floods, which may have eroded the river bed could have weakened the base of the structure and contributed to the collapse of the bridge.

The Jabdighat Bridge, constructed at the total cost of Rs 190.75 million, is yet to be handed over to the government by the contractor. The bridge had collapsed before the formal announcement of completing of its construction.

Talking to The Himalayan Times today, Hari Narayan Prasad Rauniyar, managing director of Pappu Construction, said, “The government hasn’t approached me on this matter and I think an independent investigation is necessary.”

Earlier, Pappu Construction and Federation of Contractors Association of Nepal had alleged that the bridge had collapsed mainly due to the faulty design provided by the government.


A version of this article appears in print on September 12, 2017 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

19 new cases confirmed on Sunday, nationwide COVID-19 count reaches 603

KATHMANDU: Nineteen new cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed by the Ministry of Health and Population, today, taking the nationwide tally to 603. The infections were confirmed through tests carried out at Provincial Public Health Laboratory, Biratnagar, Provincial Public Health Laboratory, Bhair Read More...

NKorea's Kim vows to further bolster nuclear war deterrence: KCNA

SEOUL: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un hosted a military meeting to discuss new policies to bolster the country's nuclear capabilities amid stalled denuclearisation talks with the United States, state media KCNA said on Sunday. The meeting of the ruling Workers' Party's powerful Central Milit Read More...

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

Israel's Netanyahu goes on trial for corruption

JERUSALEM: The corruption trial of Benjamin Netanyahu opens on Sunday in a Jerusalem court, where he will become the first serving Israeli prime minister to face criminal prosecution, in a case he calls a political witch-hunt. Netanyahu is required to appear for the session in Jerusalem District Read More...

'Avatar' movie sequel to resume production in New Zealand

LOS ANGELES: A sequel to James Cameron's sci-fi movie blockbuster "Avatar" will go back into production next week for the first time since it was shuttered by worldwide efforts to contain the coronavirus, producer Jon Landau said on Friday. Film and TV production came to halt around the g Read More...

COVID-19 positive flees Janakpur Provincial Hospital

JANAKPURDHAM: A COVID-19 positive person fled the Temporary Coronavirus Special Unit of the Provincial Hospital, Janakpurdham in Dhanusha district on Saturday night. The 45-year-old person housed in a single room of the isolation ward fled the hospital by breaking the room's window, informed Kuld Read More...

NAC's fourth chartered flight to Japan scheduled for tonight

KATHMANDU: Nepal Airlines Corporation (NAC) is operating its fourth chartered flight to Japan to send back Japanese nationals stranded in Nepal and other Nepali passengers, tonight. The flight chartered by the Japanese Embassy in Kathmandu is scheduled to take off at 9:00 pm. The NA’s wide b Read More...

Vatican Museums

Vatican Museums, Holy See's cash cow, to reopen from June 1

VATICAN CITY: The Vatican Museums will reopen on June 1, the Vatican said on Saturday, ending a closure caused by the coronavirus lockdown that has drained the Holy See's coffers. A statement said the Museums, which house some of the world's greatest Renaissance masterpieces as well as ancient Ro Read More...

Major Indian states seek delay in restarting flights as coronavirus cases rise

MUMBAI/NEW DELHI: Three large Indian states have sought to delay the planned opening of their airports on Monday as new cases of the novel coronavirus jumped by a record, complicating the federal government’s plan to resume flights after a two-month lockdown. India registered 6,767 new cases of Read More...