Nepal | July 15, 2020

NT’s 4G expansion plan gains momentum

ZTE, CCSI get contract to develop core and radio access network

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Kathmandu, February 3

The state-owned Nepal Telecom (NT) today signed an agreement with the Chinese firm ZTE and China Communications Services International (CCSI) of Hong Kong to expand its 4G service across country.

Issuing a press statement today, NT informed that the two firms have been awarded the contract for the development
of necessary core network and radio access network for the expansion of 4G or Long Term Evolution (LTE) service of the telecom firm.

The agreement to this effect was signed between NT’s Managing Director Dilli Ram Adhikari and representatives from ZTE and CCSI.

“Under this agreement, the contractor will have to develop one core network and two radio access networks. The main
core network will remain in Kathmandu and Butwal,” as per Nepal Telecom.

Furthermore, NT officials said that the core network and radio access network will be developed in a manner whereby it can cater 4G service to 6.5 million subscribers. As per the agreement, ZTE and CCSI will have to complete the aforementioned project within February 3 next year.

Nepal Telecom introduced 4G service in January 2017, becoming the first telecom company in the country to roll out the service. However, it has not been able to expand the service beyond Kathmandu Valley and Pokhara, as the
Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA), the corruption watchdog, launched a probe into the 4G equipment procurement process in February suspecting financial irregularities.

However, CIAA in October last year had directed the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology to expedite the 4G expansion plan of NT by taking necessary legal steps. This had provided momentum to NT’s 4G expansion plan which had been stalled since long.

Before the CIAA launched its investigation, NT had invited bids from international companies to expand 4G service across the country. At the time it had issued two separate tender notices for procurement of base transceiver stations and the core network to facilitate 4G transmission. Although various international firms had submitted their bids, the process of handing over contracts was stalled due to the CIAA probe.

There are around 1.86 million 4G subscribers in Nepal. Of these, 1.19 million are using Ncell’s service, 621,023 have subscribed to NT’s service and 43,887 are using Smart Telecom’s service.

NT’s 4G service is limited to only Kathmandu Valley and Pokhara while Ncell has already expanded its 4G service to major cities across the country.


A version of this article appears in print on February 04, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

US debates school reopening, WHO warns 'no return to normal'

MIAMI: The resurgence of the coronavirus in the United States ignited fierce debate Monday about whether to reopen schools, as global health officials warned that the pandemic will intensify unless more countries adopt comprehensive plans to combat it. “If the basics aren’t followed, there is Read More...

US budget deficit hits all-time high of $864 billion in June

WASHINGTON: The federal government incurred the biggest monthly budget deficit in history in June as spending on programs to combat the coronavirus recession exploded while millions of job losses cut into tax revenues. The Treasury Department reported Monday that the deficit hit $864 billion last Read More...

Apple says full return to offices not until the end of the year: Bloomberg News

Apple Inc (AAPL.O) has told its staff that a full return to US offices will not occur before the end of the year, Bloomberg News reported on Monday, citing an internal video message. The company is also pushing staff to work remotely as the virus forces the company to shut some of its stores agai Read More...

UN expert accuses White House of 'onslaught' against media

GENEVA: The UN special rapporteur on freedom of expression on Monday accused the White House of mounting an “onslaught” against the media and referred to a negative “Trump effect” on global press freedom. In his last official press briefing before his six-year tenure ends later this month Read More...

Giriraj Mani Pokhrel

Minister stresses education development

Kathmandu, July 13 Minister of Education, Science and Technology Giriraj Mani Pokhrel said preparations were on to prepare a framework for achieving sustainable development for education at the province and local levels. Chairing a virtual meeting of the 32nd general assembly of Nepal National Read More...

73 families shifted to safer places in Sankhuwasabha

BHOJPUR, JULY 13 Seventy-three households were shifted to a safer place after the houses were found to be at high risk of landslides at Silichong Rural Municipality, Sankhuwasabha. DSP Nawaraj Malla of Sankhuwasabha District Police Office said 350 people of 73 households of Sisuwa were shi Read More...

Swollen rivers erode embankments in Rautahat

RAUTAHAT, JULY 13 Increase in water level in the Bagmati and Bakaiya rivers has led to erosion of embankments and river banks in Rautahat. In Rajdevi Municipality, the Bagmati river has started eroding the embankment in the northeast of Brahmapuri. With this, a number of places including Mudaw Read More...

Makawanpur district

318 return to Makawanpur from third countries

HETAUDA, JULY 13 A total of 318 people returned home from third countries to Makawanpur in the last one month. These people returned home after the government rescued them from various countries. Makawanpur District Coordination Committee Chief Raghunath Khulal said that 318 people coming from Read More...