Nepal | July 06, 2020

Meghan Markle sues UK newspaper; Prince Harry attacks tabloid press

REUTERS
Share Now:

LONDON: Meghan Markle, the wife of Britain’s Prince Harry, has started legal proceedings against the Mail on Sunday newspaper over the publication of a private letter that her lawyers said was “unlawful”.

In a lengthy, emotional statement, Prince Harry said on Tuesday that the couple had taken legal action in response to what he called “bullying” by some sections of the British press.

“Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one,” he said.

FILE PHOTO: Britain’s Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, arrives to meet academics and students during a roundtable discussion on female access to higher education with the Association of Commonwealth Universities, at the University of Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa, October 1, 2019. Photo: Reuters

“My deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditized to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”

His mother, Princess Diana, became one of the most photographed women on the planet after she married into the British royal family.

She died in a car crash in Paris in 1997 after being followed through the streets by photographers. Her funeral was watched by hundreds of millions of people around the world.

Schillings, the law firm representing Markle, described the publication of her letter as part of a “campaign by this media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories about her, as well as her husband.

“…We have issued proceedings to redress this breah of privacy, infringement of copyright and the aforementioned media agenda.” It did not give details about the letter in question or publication date.

In his statement, Prince Harry said the newspaper had “purposely misled (readers) by strategically omitting select paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words.”

The Mail on Sunday denied the account.

“The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously,” said a spokesman. “Specifically, we categorically deny that the Duchess’s letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning.”

Schillings said the case was being paid for privately by Prince Harry and Markle, who are also known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

The royal couple have been touring southern Africa together with their baby son, Archie. The prince visited the same landmine clearance project in Angola that Diana had been to see just a few months before her death.

The 35-year-old prince, who is Queen Elizabeth’s grandson and sixth in line to the throne, said the legal action had been “many months in the making”.

He referred to the “double standards” of some elements of the tabloid press, which have written critical articles about the couple in recent months but provided largely positive coverage of their ongoing tour.

“I have been a silent witness to her private suffering for too long. To stand back and do nothing would be contrary to everything we believe in,” he added


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

COVID victim’s body laid to rest amid obstruction

DAMAULI, JULY 4 After 12-hour obstruction by the locals, a body of 44-year-old man who died of COVID-19, was laid to rest in Ludi Dobhan, bordering Sahid Lakhan Rural Municipality and Gorkha Municipality in Gorkha at 6:00pm today. The man had died in Gorkha Hospital at 5:00am today. CDO Surend Read More...

Lockdown tightened in Lamjung

LAMJUNG, JULY 4 Lamjung District COVID-19 Crisis Management Centre today decided to open essential shops and businesses besides pharmacies from 5:00am to 12:00noon. A meeting of the centre took the decision in view of the rising COVID-19 cases in the district. Lamjung CDO Krishna Prasad Adh Read More...

Province 2

Quarantine facilities emptying in Province 2

JANAKPUR, JULY 4 The number of people staying in quarantine centres has been decreasing. As of last Thursday, the number of people quarantined in eight districts of Province 2 has gone down to 3,770. Two weeks ago, the number of people staying in 455 quarantines facilities of the province w Read More...

Dhankuta map

Opening of new park in Dhankuta delayed due to dispute

DHANKUTA, JULY 4 Even after the completion of construction work of Banjhakri Park months before the deadline, its scheduled inauguration couldn’t take place yesterday due to a dispute between the provincial and local government over the right to inaugurate the park in Dhankuta’s Mahalaxmi Mun Read More...

Benchmark index surges 4.54 per cent in volatile trading

KATHMANDU, JULY 4 The Nepal Stock Exchange (Nepse) reopened fully for the first time after the lockdown was imposed on June 29 and in volatile trading till July 2, the benchmark index surged by 4.54 per cent or 54.53 points. After the trading in the sole secondary market was suspended followin Read More...

Over 1,000 Nepalis return home on repatriation flights

KATHMANDU, JULY 4 Under the government’s evacuation schedule, a total of 1,082 migrant workers were repatriated today from five destinations. A total of seven flights were conducted today. Of them, Nepal Airlines Corporation (NAC) conducted three flights and Himalaya Airlines conducted two f Read More...

Bullion price slightly down in domestic market

KATHMANDU, JULY 4 Bullion price in the domestic market declined in the trading week between June 28 and July 3. According to the Federation of Nepal Gold and Silver Dealers’ Association (FeNeGoSiDA), gold was traded at Rs 91,300 per tola on Sunday and it remained constant on Monday. On Tuesd Read More...

WHO halts hydroxychloroquine, HIV drugs in COVID trials after failure to reduce death

GENEVA: The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Saturday that it was discontinuing its trials of the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine and combination HIV drug lopinavir/ritonavir in hospitalised patients with COVID-19 after they failed to reduce mortality. The setback came as the WHO also repo Read More...