Soul food: Pasta treat
August 5 is Friendship Day. Why not get together with friends and cook up something simple yet special on that day like Greek pasta salad? You could cook it together and add to the fun.
You will need
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves cubed
• 12 ounces pasta
• 1 carrot, sliced diagonally into 1/4 inch thick slices
• 10 ounce package frozen broccoli florets, thawed
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2/3 cup chicken broth
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/4 cup grated cheese
• Heat one tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and saute for 5-7 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (no longer pink). Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
• Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 2-4 minutes; drain
and set aside.
• While pasta is cooking, heat second tablespoon oil over medium heat in same skillet used for chicken. Stir fry carrots for about four minutes, then add broccoli and garlic and stir fry for another two minutes. Finally, stir in broth, basil and cheese and return chicken to skillet. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about four minutes.
• Place drained pasta in a large serving bowl. Top with chicken/vegetable mixture and serve immediately.