Soul food: Sumptuous breakfast
They say “Eat breakfast King size” and for those who follow this here are two recipes to kick start your day.
Banana Walnut Pancakes
You will need
• 1 egg
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 2 tbsp cooking oil
• 1 cup flour
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp soda
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp vanilla
• 1 ripe banana, mashed in the skin
• 1/2 cup walnuts, crushed
• Beat egg and add remaining ingredients in order listed (except walnuts).
• Beat with rotary beater until smooth.
• Grease heated griddle if necessary.
• Pour batter 1/2 cup at a time onto griddle.
• Turn pancakes as soon as they are puffed and full of bubbles but before bubbles break. -Bake other side until golden brown.
• Serve hot with butter and maple syrup.
Ham, Mushroom and Cheese Omelette
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
• ¼ cup ham, sliced
• 2-4 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
• Beat eggs, add mushrooms and ham.
• Heat frying pan, and coat with cooking oil.
• Add egg mixture to hot pan and cook until almost set.
• Flip over and
when egg is set,
top with cheese. Cook until cheese
• Serve with toast.