Nepal | June 07, 2020

Commission gets less than expected complaints

• PUBLIC LAND-GRAB CASES

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Kathmandu, August 12

The high-level commission formed to investigate cases of land-grab and misuse of public land across the country has collected just over 120 complaints, which, the commission members say, is less than what they expected.

Of the total complaints received by the commission, most are related to grabbing or misuse of public land in the three districts of Kathmandu valley. Moreover, most of these cases are related to encroachment of government-owned, public and guthi land. The complaints involve grab and misuse of land areas ranging from a few annas to 200 ropanis.

The commission that began formal operations on June 3 has begun investigation the cases. A meeting of the Cabinet on May 20 had decided to form the all-powerful high-level commission led by Mohan Raman Bhattarai. Bhattarai said a few complaints were related to land-grab cases sub-judice in the courts, while others had already been settled through Supreme Court decisions. “The commission can do nothing about cases already finalised by the Supreme Court,” he said. “We are, however, studying the complaints.”

The commission relies on complaints filed by individuals, information fed by individuals and news reports. It has also issued a circular to all local levels, district administration offices and consumer committees to inform about cases of grabbing and misuse of public land.

The commission members said although complaints and information were coming in gradually every day, the number was less than what they expected considering the scale of media reportage.

Janaki Ballav Adhikari, a member of the commission, said this trend might be because of threat and intimidation involved in cases related to large-scale grab and misuse of public land, costs involved in reaching the commission for filing complaints, and confusion among people, among others.

“On the other hand, people seem to be on a wait and-see mode before the finalisation of the Baluwatar land-grab case,” Adhikari said.

A government-formed committee has concluded that 113 ropani public land in Baluwatar area was transferred in the names individuals illegally. It was revealed that an eight-anna plot within the embezzled land area was registered in the name of son of Bishnu Poudel, general secretary of the ruling Nepal Communist Party (NCP). The matter is presently being investigated by the Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority and the Central Investigation Bureau of Nepal Police.

Adhikari said since the commission had been mandated to submit its investigation report within six months and complaints were still coming in sporadically, they would soon submit a midterm report to the government of cases finalised so far.

“Even though the number of complaints is less than what we expected, the existing number is enough for the commission to work on given the resources available,” he said.


A version of this article appears in print on August 13, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Supreme Court of Nepal

SC orders release of illegally-detained man

KATHMANDU, JUNE 5 The Supreme Court today rebuked District Administration Office, Siraha, and others for unlawfully detaining Chakra Bahadur Khatri, a resident of Khotang district, for more than a year. The court asked the National Human Rights Commission to secure the release of the man and w Read More...

Trump orders big US troop cut in Germany, official says

BANGOR, MAINE: US President Donald Trump has ordered the military to remove 9,500 troops from Germany, a senior US official said on Friday, a move likely to raise concerns in Europe about the US commitment to the continent. The move would reduce US troops numbers in Germany to 25,000, from the 3 Read More...

15 yrs on, Bandarmudhe blast victims still await justice

CHITWAN, JUNE 5 Fifteen years have passed since the infamous Bandarmudhe bomb blast, but the victims of the incident are still awaiting justice. The bomb blast carried out by the then rebelling CPN Maoist on a passenger bus at Madi of southern Chitwan had taken the lives of 38 people, leaving Read More...

michael jordan

Jordan giving $100 million for racial equality, justice

CHARLOTTE: Michael Jordan and the Jordan Brand are giving $100 million to organizations dedicated to promoting racial equality and social justice. In a joint statement Friday on social media, Jordan and the Jordan Brand said money will be paid over 10 years with the goal of “ensuring racial equ Read More...

Buffalo officers suspended in shoving of 75-year-old man

BUFFALO: Dozens of Buffalo police officers stepped down from the department's crowd control unit Friday, objecting to the suspensions of two fellow officers in the shoving of a 75-year-old protester who fell and cracked his head. Prosecutors were investigating the encounter captured by a TV crew Read More...

Kylie Jenner tops Forbes highest paid celebs list a week after Forbes' scathing report of her not being a billionaire

LOS ANGELES: After making headlines a week ago in a Forbes report for not being a billionaire, Kylie Jenner on June 4 was ranked at Number 1 by Forbes in its annual world's highest paid celebrities list. She was followed by musician Kanye West, who is married to her half-sister Kim Kadarshian Read More...

Swab collection halted for five days in Sudurpaschim

DHANGADI, JUNE 5 Sudurpaschim Province has halted collection of throat swab samples for five days. Province Health Directorate Office Dhangadi said it had stopped collecting swab samples as more than 1,000 swabs were on hold and left to be tested. “We have more than 1,000 swab samples yet Read More...

Hollywood star Leonardo DiCaprio dedicated to ending disenfranchisement of Black America

KATHMANDU: Joining a growing list of Hollywood celebrities donating to organisations working for equal rights during the 'Black Lives Matter' protests in the US, actor Leonardo DiCaprio too has announced donations while urging others to take action. Taking to Twitter on June 5, the Once Upon A T Read More...