KATHMANDU: After fifteen months since the incident, Lalitpur District Court on Friday ruled on Godamchaur rape case ordering authorities to enforce a 10-year-prison term each on three persons accused of brutally gang-raping and attempting to murder a 22-year-old woman who was returning home from work.

A single bench of Justice Dhansingh Mahara passed the verdict sending the accused - Raghu Silwal, Pawan Kunwar and Bishal Dhwaj Karki - all from Godamchaur behind bars to serve 10/10 year sentence for the counts concurrently.

Lalitpur District Court Registrar Chandra Prakash Tiwari said each defendant will go to jail only for 10 years and 60 days as their sentence will run concurrently.

The court took into account facts uncovered during the police investigation and the victim's statement as evidence. She had accused the trio of brutally gang raping her on November 18, 2017, while she was commuting back home.

According to the victim, the accused abducted, raped and attempted to murder her before she was found lying unconscious, by her family, below a bridge in the area. Her family, immediately rushed her to Patan Hospital and then Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital (TUTH) where she opened her eyes after seven days of treatment.

The accused, apart from breaking her left hand and tearing her eardrums, had inflicted serious head injuries on her which were treated with 39 stitches.

Following the incident, the woman filed a First Information Report and police officials arrested the accused from Satdobato. However, the Lalitpur District Court, ruled in favour of the accused on January 10, 2018, citing lack of evidence and released them on a general date.

A month later, Patan High Court annulled the verdict of the district court and ordered authorities to take the accused into custody again. Following the order, the accused fled only to be captured last month.

Likewise, the Lalitpur District Court has also ordered the convicts to pay Rs 300,000 in compensation and serve an additional 60 days for robbing the victim of her purse money after raping and attempting to murder her.

As per media reports, the victim's family had to face threats from families of the accused who while on the run threatened to murder the victim and her family, if they persist for justice. Moreover, the woman and her husband were forced to leave Godamchaur and live in her maternal home at Lubhu after receiving multiple threats.