Ganga Maya refuses to perform Nanda Prasad's funeral till she gets justice

KATHMANDU: Ganga Maya Adhikari, widow of Nanda Prasad Adhikari, on Wednesday reiterated that the family would not perform final rites of the deceased man till culprits of their son Krishna Prasad's murder are brought to book.

Nanda Prasad had died during a hunger strike, demanding action against his son's murderers, on September 23 last year after 329 days of fast-unto-death at Bir Hospital.

In a meeting with a National Human Rights Commission team led by Chairman Anup Raj Sharma today, Ganga Maya, who is also on a fast-unto-death currently, also warned that she might die one day while fighting for justice as her husband.

In response, Sharma had pledged to support her as mandated by the NHRC jurisdiction, informed NHRC spokesperson Mohna Ansari.

Meanwhile, the national human rights watchdog urged the government to ensure that the Adhikari family get due compensation and return to their village in a secured environment.

Ganga Maya and her husband Nanda Prasad of Phujel, Gorkha, had staged a fast-unto-death, demanding action against the murderers of their son Krishna Prasad, who was allegedly killed by Maoist cadres at Bakulahar Chowk of Ratnanagar, Chitwan, in June 2004.

The Adhikari couple first began their hunger strike in front of prime minister’s official residence in Baluwatar in January 2013. They launched their second hunger strike the following month and ended it on the 47th day after an agreement with the government, which included action on the First Information Report against some suspects, including Parshuram Paudel. But, they were released later. The Adhikaris resumed their hunger strike on October 24, 2014.

Nanda Prasad died on September 23 last year after 329 days of fast-unto-death at Bir Hospital. Even after losing her husband, Ganga Maya continued her hunger strike for a total of 360 days until the government signed a five-point deal with her in October 2015.

However, she has launched the strike again. She still remains in the hospital awaiting justice.