Nepal | September 24, 2020

Quake survivors unhappy with government grant

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Housing grant agreements have been concluded with over 590,000 families whose houses were significantly damaged during the earthquake

Kathmandu, January 13

The government has decided to provide Rs 200,000 to Rs 300,000 to families whose homes were completely destroyed by the 2015 earthquakes in three instalments.

However, most quake survivors complained that the sum was inadequate to rebuild their homes.

Tika Bahadur Karki, 40, a resident of Lamidada-8, Dolakha, had to travel a long distance from his village and spend a week waiting to receive the first installment of Rs 50,000 from the government. The travel and lodge cost him Rs 10,000.

At a programme in Kathmandu today he said, “The money the government has provided will not even be enough to clear the site for construction. I am not sure whether or not to start building my house.”

According to a survey report of the National Election Observation Committee ‘Improving the Reconstruction Process in Nepal: Monitoring Report Phase II’ launched today in Kathmandu, only six per cent of the beneficiaries of reconstruction grant thought that the grant was adequate. Over 85 percent expressed dissatisfaction, and almost 10 per cent were not even aware of what the total grant amount is.

Similarly, less than 10 per cent of the beneficiaries considered the amount of the first instalment satisfactory, 78 per cent were dissatisfied, and the remaining 12 per cent were found indifferent.

Bikal Shrestha, program director of NEOC, said in March 2016, quake survivors of Dolakha district became the first to receive the first instalment of the grant from the government to rebuild their houses.

“The agreement process has had several problems, slowing reconstruction efforts. Nevertheless, so far housing grant agreements have been concluded with over 590,000 quake victims whose houses were significantly damaged by quake.”

Human rights activist Prof Kapil Shrestha said the fund was not enough to construct a house.

Earthquake victims have been facing problems, so they have built houses without following the standards set by the government.

Sanjay Sharma, secretary of the National Reconstruction Authority, informed that the management of funds and distribution had been a huge challenge. The government will soon address the problems and begins its work smoothly, he added.


A version of this article appears in print on January 14, 2017 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Photo Gallery: People wait days to get tested for COVID-19 at Teku

KATHMANDU, SEPTEMBER 23 Labourers along with their families who arrived in Kathmandu from India and other regions of Nepal, four-days ago, sleep on the floor of Teku Hospital premise, waiting their turns to get testedpast midnight. Pictures taken by Skanda Gautam for The Himalayan Times. Read More...

BTS to perform everyday for a week on Jimmy Fallon's show starting September 28

KATHMANDU: K-pop juggernaut BTS is all set to perform every night for a week on NBC's The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon from September 28. According to The Korea Times, the show announced the special 'BTS Week' on Septmeber 22. The group ― comprising RM, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Jimin, V a Read More...

India's narcotics cell summon Bollywood stars Deepika Padukone, Sara Ali Khan, Shraddha Kapoor, Rakul Preet Singh

KATHMANDU: In the latest development of the drug case related to the death of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) of India on September 23 issued summons to four stars from Bollywood — Deepika Padukone, Sara Ali Khan, Shradhha Kapoor and Rakul Preet Singh. T Read More...

Bollywood actress Payal Ghosh files FIR against filmmaker Anurag Kashyap for rape

KATHMANDU: Bollywood actress Payal Ghosh has filed an FIR against filmmaker Anurag Kashyap accusing him of rape, wrongful restrain, wrongful confinement and outraging the modesty of a woman. According to IANS, Ghosh's lawyer Nitin Satpute shared details of the FIR in a statement in the early hou Read More...

Nepal denies claims of construction by Chinese side within its territory

KATHMANDU: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) has denied claims of construction of buildings by China within Nepali territory between Nepal-China boundary pillars. Issuing a statement on Wednesday, MoFA stated that it has taken note of media reports on alleged construction between Nepal-China Read More...

Chinese encroachment in Humla? China denies it, so does MoFA

Buildings have been built at a distance of around two kilometres from the border in Lapcha Limi area of Namkha Rural Municipality in Humla: NC lawmaker Rangamati Shahi KATHMANDU, SEPTEMBER 23 China has allegedly built at least nine buildings on Nepali land near Nepal-China border in Humla distri Read More...

Supreme Court tells government not to induct Gautam in Cabinet

KATHMANDU, SEPTEMBER 23 The Supreme Court today ordered the government not to induct Bamdev Gautam in the Cabinet or assign him any such post till the apex court issued another order in the case. Gautam was recently nominated to the National Assembly by the president on the government’s recommend Read More...

Overnight wait for PCR test for scores

KATHMANDU, SEPTEMBER 23 Sukraraj Tropical and Infectious Disease Hospital at Teku has been seeing a surge in the number of people visiting the hospital for polymerase chain reaction test. The number of people visiting the hospital for the tests has drastically increased after the government al Read More...