Nepal | September 30, 2020

AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine study paused after one illness

Associated Press
Share Now:

Late-stage studies of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate are on temporary hold while the company investigates whether a recipient’s “potentially unexplained” illness is a side effect of the shot.

In a statement issued Tuesday evening, the company said its “standard review process triggered a pause to vaccination to allow review of safety data.”

AstraZeneca didn’t reveal any information about the possible side effect except to call it “a potentially unexplained illness.” The health news site STAT first reported the pause in testing, saying the possible side effect occurred in the United Kingdom.

An AstraZeneca spokesperson confirmed the pause in vaccinations covers studies in the U.S. and other countries. Late last month, AstraZeneca began recruiting 30,000 people in the U.S. for its largest study of the vaccine. It also is testing the vaccine, developed by Oxford University, in thousands of people in Britain, and in smaller studies in Brazil and South Africa.

Two other vaccines are in huge, final-stage tests in the United States, one made by Moderna Inc. and the other by Pfizer and Germany’s BioNTech. Those two vaccines work differently than AstraZeneca’s, and the studies already have recruited about two-thirds of the needed volunteers.

Temporary holds of large medical studies aren’t unusual, and investigating any serious or unexpected reaction is a mandatory part of safety testing. AstraZeneca pointed out that it’s possible the problem could be a coincidence; illnesses of all sorts could arise in studies of thousands of people.

“We are working to expedite the review of the single event to minimize any potential impact on the trial timeline,” the company statement said.

It’s likely the unexplained illness was serious enough to require hospitalization and not a mild side effect such as fever or muscle pain, said Deborah Fuller, a University of Washington researcher who is working on a different COVID-19 vaccine that has not yet started human testing.

“This is not something to be alarmed about,” Fuller said. Instead, it’s reassuring that the company is pausing the study to figure out what’s happening and carefully monitoring the health of study participants.

Dr. Ashish Jha of Brown University said via Twitter that the significance of the interruption was unclear but that he was “still optimistic” that an effective vaccine will be found in the coming months.

“But optimism isn’t evidence,” he wrote. “Let’s let science drive this process.”

Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Columbia University in New York, tweeted that the illness may be unrelated to the vaccine, “but the important part is that this is why we do trials before rolling out a vaccine to the general public.”

During the third and final stage of testing, researchers look for any signs of possible side effects that may have gone undetected in earlier patient research. Because of their large size, the studies are considered the most important study phase for picking up less common side effects and establishing safety.

The trials also assess effectiveness by tracking who gets sick and who doesn’t between patients getting the vaccine and those receiving a dummy shot.

The development came the same day that AstraZeneca and eight other drugmakers issued an unusual pledge, vowing to uphold the highest ethical and scientific standards in developing their vaccines.

The announcement follows worries that President Donald Trump will pressure the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to approve a vaccine before it’s proven to be safe and effective.

The U.S. has invested billions of dollars in efforts to quickly develop multiple vaccines against COVID-19. But public fears that a vaccine is unsafe or ineffective could be disastrous, derailing the effort to vaccinate millions of Americans.

Representatives for the FDA did not immediately respond to requests for comment Tuesday evening.

AstraZeneca’s U.S.-traded shares fell more than 6% in after-hours trading following reports of the trial being paused.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Two more Covid-19 related fatalities reported in Banke

RANJHA: Two more Covid-19 related deaths have been reported in Banke district on Tuesday. According to Naresh Shrestha, corona resource person at District Health Office, Banke, a 41-year-old man of Ranitalau in Nepalgunj Sub-Metropolitan City-7, and a 53-year-old man of Kohalpur Municipality-10 Read More...

Nepal's coronavirus cases top 75,000 on Tuesday with 1513 infections

KATHMANDU: Nepal’s coronavirus tally moved to 76,258 as 1,513 new infections were reported in the last 24 hours. Read Also: Kathmandu valley registers record-high 934 single-day coronavirus cases As many as 731 people that had earlier contracted Covid-19 tested negative for the infection as Read More...

Ten Covid-19 fatalities recorded, death-toll inches closer closer to 500

KATHMANDU: Ten people passed away from Covid-19 related complications in the last 24 hours, with which the nationwide death-toll has moved to 491. Three women and seven men lost their lives due to this infection, the Health Ministry’s latest update showed. Read Also: Kathmandu valley registe Read More...

Kathmandu valley registers record-high 934 single-day coronavirus cases

KATHMANDU: The number of single-day coronavirus infections detected in the three districts of Kathmandu valley exceeded 900 for the first time on Tuesday. As many as 934 cases surfaced in the valley in the last 24 hours, of which a majority 747 infections were registered in the capital alone. Read More...

Nepal to receive 25 mln Russian Covid-19 vaccine doses

KATHMANDU: Russia is set to supply 25 million doses of its potential Covid-19 vaccine to Nepal. The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), Russia’s sovereign wealth fund on Tuesday said that it will supply the Russian Sputnik V vaccine through Trinity Pharmaceuticals based in Nepal. The pres Read More...

Liverpool's Klopp bristles at Keane's "sloppy" criticism

LONDON: Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp hit back at television pundit and former Manchester United captain Roy Keane on Monday after the Irishman described the Premier League champions' defending in a 3-1 win over Arsenal on Monday as "sloppy". Liverpool have won all three of their league games s Read More...

Djokovic seeks French Open redemption after New York fiasco

PARIS: Three weeks after an acrimonious exit at the US Open, world number one Novak Djokovic will resume his pursuit of an 18th Grand Slam title when he takes on Sweden's Mikael Ymer in the first round at the French Open on Tuesday. The Serbian had started as a heavy favourite to win the title at Read More...

Youth held for raping minor in Rautahat

RAUTAHAT: A youth has been arrested on the charges of raping a 15-year-old girl in Rauthat, on Monday night. The victim's father filed a first incident report (FIR) against 35-year-old Indal Das at a nearby police station. Subsequently, the accused was apprehended from his house around mid-night Read More...