Nepal | September 30, 2020

Health experts decry Trump’s shunning of virus rules

Associated Press
Share Now:

WASHINGTON: Public health experts expressed concern Friday about President Donald Trump’s largely mask-free, socially un-distanced Republican convention event on the White House lawn, saying some of his 1,500 guests may have inadvertently brought and spread the coronavirus to others.

“There almost certainly were individuals there who were infected with COVID-19 but don’t know it,” said Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician and public health professor at George Washington University.

“I worry about these individuals infecting one another and most certainly going back to their home,” said Wen, who previously served as Baltimore’s health commissioner.

Trump delivered his speech accepting the GOP presidential nomination at the Thursday night event, which continued a pattern of flouting coronavirus safety guidelines.

Few in the audience wore masks when virtually all leading public health professionals, including the administration’s, say face coverings play a big part in slowing virus transmission.

Chairs were placed inches apart instead of the recommended 6 feet, leaving attendees little room to practice social distancing.

Only those guests the White House expected to be in “close proximity” to Trump and Vice President Mike Pence were to be tested for COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus.

Though public health officials have said outdoors is safer than indoors, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also puts the risk of COVID-19 spreading at its highest at large outdoor events and in-person gatherings where people cannot stay 6 feet apart and attendees come from out of town.

Trump’s campaign issued a statement from Dr. Robert Darling, chief medical officer of Patronus Medical Corp., who said the Republican National Committee’s protocols are in “full compliance” with multiple guidelines issued by the CDC, the District of Columbia health department and other leading health authorities. He provided no details.

The campaign said Darling, a former White House physician to President Bill Clinton, has been working with the RNC to make sure the proper protocols are in place at convention sites.

In Charlotte, North Carolina, where delegates met Monday to nominate Trump for reelection, the city required a process to be put in place to trace people’s contacts in the event of an outbreak, including requiring attendees to wear trackers on their lanyards.

Masks and social distancing requirements were also in place, and attendees were required to complete a daily temperature screening and wellness questionnaire. They were tested before departing for Charlotte and retested upon arrival.

Out of nearly 800 coronavirus tests administered, two attendees and two people supporting the Charlotte event tested positive after they arrived, the county health department said. The four individuals were instructed to isolate, and any known close contacts were notified and given instructions on quarantining, the department said.

Public health officials also expressed concern over a march in Washington on Friday to commemorate the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. The size of the event had been scaled back because of coronavirus concerns.

Participants underwent temperature checks as part of coronavirus protocols. Organizers also reminded the marchers to practice social distancing and wear masks, though many were bare-faced and packed together.

Before a Trump rally Friday night in New Hampshire, a campaign advisory said masks for attendees were “required” in accordance with Republican Gov. Chris Sununu’s executive orders, and would be provided.

Before Trump arrived, many in the crowd did not put their masks back on after singing the national anthem. They later booed when a campaign staffer called on them to do so.

Wen, the former Baltimore health official, said the White House event gives the public the false impression that precautions are no longer necessary.

“We, in public health, have been trying to share, to put out guidance on what to do, and when we have the president of the country and top leaders doing exactly what we are asking people not to do, how can we be seen as credible?” she asked.

On Friday, North Carolina Sen. Thom Tillis said he “fell short of my own standard” and apologized for not keeping his face mask on at the White House.

Tillis, who is in a tough reelection bid against Democrat Cal Cunningham, has been consistent about talking up face coverings as a key method to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Tillis’ campaign tweeted a picture of the first-term senator wearing a mask on the White House lawn on Thursday before Trump’s speech. But other media outlets later showed images of the crowd during the speech and Tillis was seen not wearing his mask.

“I thought it was very hard not to recoil at those images,” said Dr. Howard Koh, a public health professor at Harvard and a former assistant secretary at the Department of Health and Human Services under President Barack Obama.

Koh said one mitigating factor was that Trump held the event outdoors.

He said wearing facial coverings during outbreaks is expected behavior in some Asian societies and social distancing, wearing masks and avoiding large crowds are new social norms that can save lives in the United States as well.

Koh said the same guidance applies to protests, but that moving around during demonstrations might help curb the spread of the virus.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Two more Covid-19 related fatalities reported in Banke

RANJHA: Two more Covid-19 related deaths have been reported in Banke district on Tuesday. According to Naresh Shrestha, corona resource person at District Health Office, Banke, a 41-year-old man of Ranitalau in Nepalgunj Sub-Metropolitan City-7, and a 53-year-old man of Kohalpur Municipality-10 Read More...

Nepal's coronavirus cases top 75,000 on Tuesday with 1513 infections

KATHMANDU: Nepal’s coronavirus tally moved to 76,258 as 1,513 new infections were reported in the last 24 hours. Read Also: Kathmandu valley registers record-high 934 single-day coronavirus cases As many as 731 people that had earlier contracted Covid-19 tested negative for the infection as Read More...

Ten Covid-19 fatalities recorded, death-toll inches closer closer to 500

KATHMANDU: Ten people passed away from Covid-19 related complications in the last 24 hours, with which the nationwide death-toll has moved to 491. Three women and seven men lost their lives due to this infection, the Health Ministry’s latest update showed. Read Also: Kathmandu valley registe Read More...

Kathmandu valley registers record-high 934 single-day coronavirus cases

KATHMANDU: The number of single-day coronavirus infections detected in the three districts of Kathmandu valley exceeded 900 for the first time on Tuesday. As many as 934 cases surfaced in the valley in the last 24 hours, of which a majority 747 infections were registered in the capital alone. Read More...

Nepal to receive 25 mln Russian Covid-19 vaccine doses

KATHMANDU: Russia is set to supply 25 million doses of its potential Covid-19 vaccine to Nepal. The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), Russia’s sovereign wealth fund on Tuesday said that it will supply the Russian Sputnik V vaccine through Trinity Pharmaceuticals based in Nepal. The pres Read More...

Liverpool's Klopp bristles at Keane's "sloppy" criticism

LONDON: Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp hit back at television pundit and former Manchester United captain Roy Keane on Monday after the Irishman described the Premier League champions' defending in a 3-1 win over Arsenal on Monday as "sloppy". Liverpool have won all three of their league games s Read More...

Djokovic seeks French Open redemption after New York fiasco

PARIS: Three weeks after an acrimonious exit at the US Open, world number one Novak Djokovic will resume his pursuit of an 18th Grand Slam title when he takes on Sweden's Mikael Ymer in the first round at the French Open on Tuesday. The Serbian had started as a heavy favourite to win the title at Read More...

Youth held for raping minor in Rautahat

RAUTAHAT: A youth has been arrested on the charges of raping a 15-year-old girl in Rauthat, on Monday night. The victim's father filed a first incident report (FIR) against 35-year-old Indal Das at a nearby police station. Subsequently, the accused was apprehended from his house around mid-night Read More...