Nepal | August 05, 2020

UK Queen Elizabeth’s husband Philip, 97, recovers after car crash

REUTERS
Share Now:

File: Britain’s Prince Philip is driven away from Papworth Hospital in southern England December 27, 2011. Photo: Reuters

SANDRINGHAM: Queen Elizabeth’s 97-year-old husband Prince Philip was recovering at the couple’s home in eastern England on Friday after escaping without injury when his car flipped over following a crash with another vehicle.

Philip was at the wheel of his Land Rover when it collided with another car on a road close to the royals’ Sandringham private residence in Norfolk on Thursday afternoon, Buckingham Palace said.

Philip was unhurt, although shaken. The other driver, a 28-year-old woman, suffered cuts to her knee and a 45-year-old woman passenger in the car, which also had a nine-month-old baby on board, sustained a broken wrist. They were taken to hospital but later released.

“It was an astonishing escape for everyone,” said Roy Warne, 75, who pulled the prince from the wreckage.

“People could have been killed. The impact must have been enormous,” Warne, who was driving home with his wife when he saw the collision, told TV reporters. “He’s a very brave man. He didn’t make a big fuss about it and he went to ask everyone else if they were injured.”

Witnesses told media the accident had occurred when Philip was pulling out of a driveway onto a main road, with pictures from the scene showing Philip’s Land Rover overturned on the side of the road.

Police said both drivers involved in the accident had been breath tested but neither were over the alcohol limit.

“As is standard procedure with injury collisions, the incident will be investigated and any appropriate action taken,” Norfolk police said in a statement.

“We are aware of the public interest in this case, however, as with any other investigation it would be inappropriate to speculate on the causes of the collision until an investigation is carried out.”

Coincidentally, local councillors were due to meet on Friday to discuss safety concerns and lower speed limits on the road where the accident took place.

Philip retired from public life in 2017, although he still occasionally appears alongside his 92-year-old wife at official engagements.

Although he missed the traditional church service on Christmas Day last month, the former naval officer is said to be in good health and had a successful hip replacement surgery last year.

Royal commentators said Philip, who married Elizabeth in 1947 and has been by her side throughout her record-breaking 66-year reign, would be loathe to give up being behind the wheel of a car. There is no legal age in Britain to stop driving, but after 70 people must renew their licence every three years.

He drove Barack Obama and his wife Michelle to lunch at Windsor Castle during their state visit to Britain in 2016, prompting the former U.S. president to remark: “I have to say I have never been driven by a Duke of Edinburgh before, but I can report it was very smooth riding.”

Outspoken yet intensely private, Philip developed a reputation for brusque comments and often headline-grabbing verbal gaffes during ceremonial events.

 


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Sushil Bhatta appointed IBN CEO

KATHMANDU: Sushil Bhatta, a member of the National Planning Commission, has been appointed as the chief executive officer of Investment Board Nepal (IBN). The Cabinet meeting on Monday decided to appoint Bhatta to IBN’s top post which was vacant since then CEO Maha Prasad Adhikari was appointed Read More...

Pakistan must hit the ground running against England: Misbah

Pakistan will have to hit the ground running if they are to have any chance against England in their three-test series which starts on Wednesday, coach Misbah-ul-Haq said. Six months since their last test match, Pakistan go into the games at bio-secure venues in Manchester and Southampton aga Read More...

MoHP lists swab collection centres in Kathmandu; urges public to follow safety guidelines

KATHMANDU: The Ministry of Health and Population on Tuesday announced 14 swab collection centres to facilitate extensive testing of coronavirus infection in Kathmandu valley at a time when new cases have been on the rise. MoHP has urged the public to visit the swab collection centres from 9:00 am Read More...

Gai Jatra: Festival that honours the memory of those departed

KATHMANDU: Gai Jatra, literally translated to the festival of cows, is observed by bereaved families by taking out procession in memory of the ones they have lost. People, especially children, walk in different costumes, and the processions are also accompanied by traditional bands. Gai Jatra is Read More...

A woman carrying an umbrella crosses a flooded street as it rains in Mumbai

Heavy rain batters India's Mumbai disrupting rail and road traffic

MUMBAI: Authorities in the Indian city of Mumbai issued a red alert on Tuesday and warned people not to venture out after heavy overnight rain in the financial hub brought flooding and travel chaos. Some suburbs have seen more than 300 mm of rain in the 24 hours to Tuesday morning and more heavy Read More...

Nepal’s COVID-19 count crosses the 21k mark, 259 new cases detected on Tuesday

KATHMANDU: The Ministry of Health and Population has recorded 259 new cases of the coronavirus infection on Tuesday, taking the nationwide count to 21,009. The new infections were confirmed after testing 7,687 specimens through PCR method across the nation in the last 24 hours. Among the new c Read More...

Nepal COVID-19 Update: 259 new cases, 65 recoveries, one fatality recorded today

KATHMANDU: Nepal’s Health Ministry, in its regular press briefing, shared the latest updates on coronavirus contagion from across the country, and government’s response to the health crisis. As of today, 406,494 tests through Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method have been carried out, w Read More...