Pokhara, August 23
Dengue has been confirmed in 206 persons at different wards of Pokhara metropolis in the past three weeks. According to Province Health Directorate, Ward No 8 and 9 have been mostly affected by the disease.
Though dengue cases have been reported here every year for the past three years, the government has remained indifferent towards treatment and prevention measures.
Last year, dengue in the metropolis was reported in September and the disease was contained in December.
In view of the rising number of dengue patients, Health Directorate of Gandaki Province held an interaction among stakeholders here today.
Most of the speakers at the interaction programme voiced concern on lack of preparedness of the provincial government and hospitals to mitigate outbreak of dengue.
Representatives from various hospitals and non-government organisations, local representatives and women health volunteers were present at the programme.
Province Health Directorate senior medical officer Dr Bholaraj Gautam demanded separate fund for treatment and control of dengue.
Lack of diagnostic kits was reported in Western Regional Hospital under Pokhara Institute of Health Sciences. “Treatment of dengue patients at the hospital has been difficult as we don’t have diagnostic kits,” said Dr Laxman Bastola.
“The directorate will have enough diagnostic kits as the kits were also being brought from Parbat and Syangja districts,” said Dr Gautam.
A version of this article appears in print on August 24, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.