Nepal | March 30, 2020

Construction of Madi hydro project resumes

Himalayan News Service
Madi hydro project

Workers engaged in the construction of 50 MW Marshyangdi Hydro Project dam at Bhulbhule in eastern Lamjung on Tuesday, November 03, 2015. Photo: Ramji Rana

Pokhara, January 26

Works on Madi Hydro Electricity Project in Kaski’s Sildujure VDC have resumed after being halted for almost four months.

The under construction project had halted all works due to the Tarai agitation and blockade at border points.

Ramraj Koirala, coordinator at the hydro project, said works had resumed after it received the construction materials and other necessary equipment.

Furthermore, Gagangaunda depot of Nepal Oil Corporation has agreed to provide it 1,500 litres of fuel on a daily basis.

Project chief Koiara said 85 per cent of the project work, including digging of 4,200 meter tunnel, had been completed.

Technicians and workers who had gone home following the blockade and Tarai agitation have returned to work.

The project expects to start power generation if it faced no hurdle in the coming days.

A total of Rs 5.28 billion has already been spent on the project till date.

China’s Three Gorges has 80 per cent stake in the project, while project’s executive chairman Bijay Malla has invested the remaining 20 per cent.

Construction of the project had begun three years ago.


A version of this article appears in print on January 27, 2016 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories: