Nepal | November 19, 2018

Construction of school block left in limbo for nine years

Himalayan News Service

Rajbiraj, May 25

Construction of a block at Narendra Memorial Secondary School in Boriya VDC has been left in limbo though nine years have passed after the foundation stone of the structure was laid in Saptari.

The Government of India had decided to provide financial aid for construction of the school’s new block. The project was launched with a budget allocation of IC 13.5 million and then Indian envoy to Nepal Shivashankar Mukherjee had laid the foundation stone in 2007.

According to the school head teacher Khilanath Gautam, Kathmandu-based Danfe Construction Company was awarded the contract.

“Though the construction work was supposed to be completed three years ago, they have yet to install window panes, door panels, wiring and paint the walls,” he said.

“On the one hand, the under-construction block has occupied a large space, while on the other, students have been facing room crunch,” complained Gautam.

Chairperson of the School Management Committee Parmesh Yadav said though the school was granted permission to run classes of Electrical Engineering as a vocational subject, they were not sure about launching the programme due to classroom crunch.

Though the school administration has been appealing to the District Development Committee, District Administration Office and District Education Office for early completion of the construction work, their pleas has gone unheeded so far, said Gautam.


A version of this article appears in print on May 26, 2016 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories: