Experts say negligence led to flood havoc
Rajbiraj, August 26:
A team of water resources experts from India inspected the flood-affected areas in Saptari district today.
The team comprising six members concluded that the Saptakoshi embankment collapsed due to carelessness of both Nepal and India.
Talking to journalists after the field inspection, expert DK Mishra said, “The disaster would not have occurred, had both the countries repaired embankment on time.”
Saying that the flood incurred more loss to India as compared to Nepal, he said, “Both the countries should be active to solve the problems caused by natural calamities.”
He said that more than 200 bodies were still lying unclaimed in Trivenigunj canal in India.
“The bodies are in such a condition that they could not be identified whether they are of Nepal or India,” he added.
Another member of the team and coordinator of Flood Relief Campaign Bijay Kumar appreciated the efforts of national and international organisations for the relief and rescue of flood victims in Nepal.
“However, no such attempt has been made for the flood-victims in India so far, except dropping food materials from helicopters,” he regretted.
Claiming that the risk of flood in Saptakoshi River would persist till October, he said the current flood problem was the biggest in over five decades.