FA likely to continue stir
Kathmandu, July 16
The Federal Alliance, which ended its relay hunger strike yesterday, is likely to continue other forms of protest programmes.
Parliamentary leader of Federal Socialist Forum-Nepal Ashok Kumar Rai said the alliance would take a decision on their future course of action tomorrow. “We will continue our protest programmes. We might not announce relay hunger strikes or mass rallies or meetings but we will announce some forms of mild protests tomorrow,” Rai said, adding that resorting to strong protest programmes might not be possible in the rainy season.
The FA ended its relay hunger strike that it had been staging at Khula Manch since June 7 against the ‘discriminatory provisions of the constitution’ yesterday.
Rajendra Mahato, chair of Sadbhawana Party, a constituent of the FA told THT that the alliance partners would wait till the formation of a new government before coming up with strong forms of protest.
Mahato said the alliance would see how the new government would be formed and how the new government would try to address the agendas raised by the alliance. “Madhes issues figure in the top of the seven- point agreement signed between the Nepali Congress and the CPN-Maoist Centre so we will see how the new government tries to resolve our issues,” he said and added that if talks resumed under the new government to be formed, that could prepare some grounds for a negotiated settlement of issues raised by the Madhesi and Janajati forces.
Mahato also said that FA steered Kathmandu centric movement was not as effective as intended initially and if the agitating forces had to resort to agitation again, then the FA should prepare new strategies to make their agitation more effective. “Otherwise we will have to return to Madhes and the United Democratic Madhesi Front will have to take the lead to intensify its agitation in the region,” he added.