Five killed, 38 hurt in separate mishaps

HETAUDA: Five people were killed while 38 others injured in separate mishaps in Rupandehi and Makwanpur and Pyuthan district yesterday and today. Two persons were killed while nine others injured when a Sumo Jeep en route to Kathmandu from Hetauda met with an accident at Jurikhet area of Bhimphedi-8 today afternoon.

According to District Police Office Makawanpur, Ambika Upadhyaya, 40, of Birgunj died on the spot while another unidentified Indian national succumbed to his injuries at Bhimphedi Health Post. Critically injured driver Brigesh Giri and passengers Chhabilal Sahani, Indian national Najir Ansari and Rakesh Shrestha of Birgunj-5 have been sent to Bharatpur for further treatment as they could not be treated in Hetauda. Four of the injured are undergoing treatment at Hetauda though. The jeep had skidded off and fell two hundred meters down a cliff.

Meanwhile, two persons were killed when a motorcycle hit a parked truck in Rupandehi yesterday night. According to police, Kaladhar Bhandari, 21, of Dayanagar VDC-1, Amrit Ghimire, 23, of Mahendrakot, who were riding the motorcycle, were killed on the spot. Likewise, 2-year-old Suhana Miya of Okharkot VDC-1 in Pyuthan district died on the spot when a truck ran her down today afternoon.

According to District Police Office Pyuthan, the truck driver has been absconding but the police have impounded the truck. Machhi Bazaar remained tense following the incident. The students, kin of the dead and the locals obstructed Pyuthan-Gulmi road section demanding the driver be brought to book and compensation for the victim's family. The irate locals enforced Machhi Bazaar bandh and vandalised the truck. According to Pyuthan DSP Rajendra Dhakal, security has been beefed up in the area to prevent any untoward incident.

Similarly, at least 29 people were injured when the two commuter buses had a head on collision at Chirtungdhara area along the Palpa-Syangja road section today. According to Palpa District Police Office, the injured are undergoing treatment at United Mission Hospital in Tansen.