2 die, 2 serious from food poisoning in Myagdi

BENI: A woman and her son died, and two others fell seriously ill from food poisoning in Chiswang of  Mangala Rural Municipality–5 in Myagdi district on Friday.

The deceased have been identified as Cheena Gurung (20)  of Patlekharka in Raghuganga Rural Municipality–8 in the district and her 14-month-old son. Others taken ill are her husband Prem Gurung and her mother.

All four of them were taken ill after consuming dhindo, a typical porridge made of corn or millet flour, and potato and aubergine yesterday, according to the Myagdi District Police Office.

They had eaten dhindo when the woman, with her husband and son, had gone to visit her mother in Chiswang.

They were rushed to the Darbang-based Primary Health Centre and later referred to the Beni Hospital, where the woman breathed her last during treatment.

Her son was referred to the Pokhara-based Western Regional Hospital but he too breathed his last there while receiving treatment,  said police.

Meanwhile, the woman's husband and mother are undergoing treatment at the Beni hospital, said Inspector Diwakar Ghimire at the DPO.

Police have sent the dhindo and the vegetables to Kathmandu for a test.