Health centre sans medicine, mushroom poison victims helpless

JAJARKOT:  The plight of victims of wild mushroom poisoning in Nalgad Municipality’s in Jajarkot has increased as the only health centre in the area failed to stock-pile medicines after local level managing the centre turned a blind eye to lack of medicines.

People who have fallen ill after consuming wild mushroom are forced to visit hospitals in the neighbouring district for treatment.

According to a relative of a family whose four members have suffered mushroom poisoning, the health centre citing lack of medicines has referred them to Mission Hospital based at Rukum district.

“It is utter carelessness of the local level to not procure medicines for health centres and district hospital,” a relative of the victims said, “Can you imagine the hassles in carrying four people during monsoon with no transportation services?”

Kamala Nepali (95), Muna Nepali (65), Lila Nepali (30) and Bipana Nepali (20) are among the 20 persons who have fallen ill after consuming wild mushroom, Chief and Executive Officer at the municipality, Surendra Singh informed.

According to Narayan Bahadur Singh, a local teacher, out of 20 victims, 16 are being treated in the village while the four who have fallen seriously ill have been referred to Rukum.