Intra-party row delays NC’s PR list

Kathmandu, May 1:

Nepali Congress parliamentary board is due to propose 73 names from its closed-list of 335 candidates listed under the proportional representation for the Constituent Assembly to the party’s central working committee meeting slated for tomorrow.

Meeting of the parliamentary board continued till late into the night.

“The meeting could end later tonight or could be adjourned till the morning. The Central Working Committee meeting is due to start after the parliamentary panel works out

the names,” NC principal secretary Jeevan Prem Shrestha told this daily.

As per the Election Commission’s directive, the parties are to submit the final list of PR candidates by tomorrow.

The meeting of the 11-member board led by party president and Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirala was prolonged mainly due to differences among the party executives from two factions of the party, which unified last year, according to party sources.

They could not finalise the names till the eleventh hour due to the intra-party rift. They began discussing the names after they agreed to allot 60 per cent of the candidates from the mother party and remaining 40 per cent to the erstwhile breakaway faction led by Sher Bahadur Deuba, sources added.

The board was also divided over the issue of dropping some central working committee members to induct experts from different fields and to give chance to more youths, sources added.

The party had lagged behind the other major parties in fielding youths in the FPTP polls.

Nepali Congress General Secretary Bimalendra Nidhi, however, said the meeting was prolonged since they had to meticulously ensure due representation to all marginalised groups in the Constituent Assembly.

To ensure proportional representation of all the marginalised groups, the party has to allot 37.8 per cent of the Constituent Assembly seats to Janajatis, 31.2 per cent to Madhesi communities, 13 per cent to Dalits and four per cent to backward regions, besides striking the gender balance.

On the first day of the meeting on Tuesday, the board had unanimously endorsed the name of the party president Koirala.

Arju, Golchha may make it:

Kathmandu: Nepali Congress candidates likely to be proposed by the parliamentary board include CWC members Bal Dev Sharma Majgainya, Laxman Prasad Ghimire, Pradip Giri, Dr Minendra Rijal, Dr Prakash Sharan Mahat, Purna Bahadur Khadka and Sunil Kumar Bhandari, party sources said.

Youth leader Gagan Thapa, industrialist Diwakar Golchha and advocate Radheshyam Adhikari are also likely to be proposed, sources added.

Other likely candidates include Jeep Tshering Sherpa, Indra Bahadur Gurung, Dal Singh Kami, Dambar Bahadur Rai, Tikaram Subba Lepcha, Madan Gurung, Tammar Rai, Deepak Tamang, Amrit Lal Rajvanshi, Hari Narayan Chaudhary and Birendra Majhi.

Uma Adhikari, Meena Pandey, Mahalaxmi Aryal Upadhyay, Ambika Basnet, Arju Deuba Rana, Leela Bokhim, Kanta Rijal, Bishnu Dahal Limbu, Fulvati Rajvanshi, Usha Gurung, Bishnu Maya Sangpang are among some women candidates who are expected to make it to the CA under the PR system, sources added.As the parliamentary board could not finalise the closed-list on Wednesday, the party decided to continue discussion on the names on Thursday and consequently, the crucial CWC meeting, which was summoned to plot party’s future strategy after the election debacle, was adjourned twice. — HNS