DAMAULI: Nine persons have been taken ill by consuming a species of wild yam in Tanahun district.

According to District Police Office, Tanahun, nine residents of Galbubesi in Byas Municipality-1 fell sick after eating the yam.

A local, Ganesh Gurung said the wild yam had been brought from a forest at Kalesti in Byas Municipality-7 in the district.

The sick have been admitted to Damauli Hospital after witnessing symptoms such as headache, dizziness, nausea and vomiting after consumption of the yam.

Doctor at the hospital, Sunil Pandey, said that blood test reports of the patients indicated that it was a case of food poisoning. He further informed that there was no need to refer them to other health facilities as their condition was returning to normal.

It has been learnt that preparation is going on to send the wild yam, which caused food poisoning, for a test.