Official’s family begs for his release
Pokhara, February 8:
The family of assistant regional administrator, Prem Prasad Sapkota, who was abducted by Maoists last night during the attack on Dhankuta, has appealed to the authorities to arrange for his safe release.
Sapkota’s wife Rita Devi and son Manoj held a press conference here today and made the appeal. The Maoists abducted 15 persons including, Sapkota after the attack.
Sapkota’s family issued a statement urging the Maoists to release him immediately in view of his fragile health condition. Sapkota suffers from high blood pressure and heart disease, the statement said.
Sapkota, who hails from Ratmate of Baglung district, had been staying at Pokhara sub-metropolis 9, Mahendrapul. He was working as assistant regional administrator of eastern Nepal since May 2005.
Sapkota has also held the post of Chief District Officer in different districts over the past 14 years. Rita Devi also urged the human rights organisations, including the United Nations Office of High Commission for Human Rights, the National Human Rights Commission, the Nepal Bar Association and media persons to take the initiative to get her husband released.
Rita said the last time she spoke to her husband was at around 9:05 last night. “The Maoists have started attacking here, we are staying inside with lights off”, Rita Sapkota quoted him as saying. She added that she tried to contact him later but in vain.She said her husband had told her earlier about rumours that there was a possibility of a Maoist attack on Dhankuta on February 5.