Poisonous porridge claims three lives, renders 10 ill

Dhangadhi, August 24:

Three persons died and 10 fell ill in Kailali district after eating porridge cooked in vegetable ghee brought from Chandanchauki bazaar along the Indo-Nepal border last night.

Raj Kumar Chaudhari, 35, of Hasuliya-1, his son Kisan, 13, and Lilaram Chaudhari, 55, of Pawera Village Development Committee died after eating the porridge, the Kailali District Police Office said

The condition of Chaudhari’s daughter Sunita, 17, is critical, police said, adding that nine other persons, who also ate the porridge, have fallen ill, police said.

Locals of five VDCs, including Pawera, Basauti, Ratanpur and Hasuliya, had bought Vanaspati ghee and flour from a shop of Sajjan Jindal on the day of Krishna Janmastami. Dr Ganesh Bahadur Singh of the Seti Zonal Hospital said the ghee might have been laced with poison.

Police will investigate the incident in coordination with Indian police, Superintendent of Police in Kailali Suresh KC said.