Sahara gas cylinder explodes

Hetauda, November 21

A cooking gas cylinder supplied by Sahara Gas exploded at a hotel in Bhutandevi Mode, Hetauda Sub-metropolitan City today evening, fuelling protests from various political parties and student unions in Makawanpur against the company.

They have been accusing the gas company of neglecting safety.

The hotel, operated by Lalan Sah from a house belonging to Sarita Rijal, was completely damaged in the explosion that occurred at 5:15pm.

Hotel proprietor Sah said that the cylinder nozzle had caught fire, and the cylinder had exploded 15 minutes later. No human casualty was reported as everyone fled the hotel immediately after incident.

Sah’s property was completely destroyed, and the house also suffered damage.

Police said that further details of the damage were yet to be ascertained.

Meanwhile, different party leaders and student unions have intensified their protests.

A fire broke out at the Land Survey Office, Makawanpur almost a month ago, caused by an explosion of a Sahara gas cylinder.

As many as 36 persons were injured in the incident.

Various parties and student unions have warned of launching an agitation against the gas industry if those injured in the fire were not compensated.