Sindhupalchok witnesses 14 electrocution cases in 3 years

MELAMCHI: Deaths resulting from ill-managed high-tension wires, weak electricity utility poles and sporadic high voltage waves have climbed to 14 in the last three years in Sindhupalchok district.

In the current fiscal year alone, five persons lost their lives due to the electric shock.

On June 25, Phatta Kumari Ghimire (60) of Sipapokhare VDC–1 died when an electric wire overhead snapped and fell on the field where she was harvesting maize.

The utter negligence on part of the Nepal Electricity Authority has forced the residents of Sindhpalchok to lose their lives every year for no real reason.

Local teacher, Ganesh Dahal of Melamchi Municipality–12 said many lost their lives for no reason at all due to lack of proper management of electricity supply system.

A pedestrian had died after an 11,000-volt high-tension wire snapped on September 9, 2015, said Superintendent of Police (SP) Rabindra KC of District Police Office, Sindhupalchok.

Likewise, an 11-year-old Abraham Subedi of Phulping Danda died of electric shock while on the road.

Dambar Tamang from Bhotesipa area, Somlal Tamang of Hagam and Sarki Bhujel of Phulping Danda died of electric shock when they unconsciously came in contact with electric poles, the District Police Office data reveal.

During the fiscal year 2014/15, three persons had died of electric shock.

Likewise, in the fiscal year, six including a child were killed due to electric shock in various villages of the district.

Uma Kanta Lamichane, a local of Taramarang locality, said the residents were living a life of fear as the electric wires and electric poles could give way at anytime, anywhere.