Thousands of quake victims lodge complaints in Kavre
Kavre, September 1
As many as 21,436 victims of last year’s earthquake filed complaints stating that they did not get the opportunity to sign the agreement for grants of the first instalment to be provided by the state for rebuilding their houses in Kavre.
Along with the complaints, they have demanded that they should be provided the grants at the earliest for reconstruction of their houses that had collapsed during the disaster.
Many of them lodged their grievances complaining that their names were missing from the National Reconstruction Authority Sub-regional Office’s list of quake victims, according to Dhulikhel Senior Division Engineer Hom Nath Poudel.
“There are different types of complaints. Many of them have complained that their names were not in the list of victims, while some of them have complained of errors in the names,” said Poudel.
According to District Development Committee Kavre, the office received as many as 1,589 complaints from Kashikhanda Municipality, 1,800 each from Panauti and Panchkhal municipalities.
Similarly, a total of 564 complaints were lodged from Dhulikhel Municipality, 476 from Banepa Municipality and 533 from Ugrachandi Nala VDC.
The victims of 72 VDCs and five municipalities filed their complaints at the office.
As many as 48,351 quake victims, had signed the agreement, and Rs 50,000, the first instalment of the refund was deposited in the accounts of 19,537 victims.
Planning Officer Dhokal Dhakal at District Development Committee Kavre said that they could not sign the grant agreement with victims at Phalate and Bhumlutar VDCs due to lack of land ownership certificates, whereas the agreement could not be signed in Pokhari, Narayansthan, due to obstruction by locals.