KATHMANDU: With the withdrawal of extended prohibitory orders by the government, it is unlikely that there would be any confrontation between the Maoist cadres

and the government forces during the final protest programme of the UCPN-Maoist on Thursday and Friday.

Earlier in the afternoon, vice-chairman of the Unified CPN-Maoist Dr Baburam Bhattarai had warned that they would defy the

extended prohibitory orders if they were not revoked. Dr Bhattarai said he

had urged Chief District Office Bhola Prasad Siwakoti to withdraw the decision to impose prohibitory orders in additional areas or face the consequences.

More than 300,000 people with musical instruments will gather outside the country’s administrative secretariat from early in the morning to evening for two consecutive days bringing all the activities of the office inside Singha Durbar to a grinding halt, he said.

A large number of people from the civil society, film artistes, along with top leaders of the party, would participate in the gherao. “The agitation will be like a festival,” he said. Dr Bhattarai requested national and international human rights monitors to monitor the peaceful movement participated by a huge mass. “The movement will be systematic, decent and peaceful,” he claimed.

Maoists have planned to bring people from Tamuwan and Tamsaling State Committees besides the Newa State Committee.

The UCPN Maoist has directed all the members of the Constituent Assembly to be present with their dress and logos. CA members of Newa, Tamsaling, Magarat, Awadh and Tamuwan, Bheri-Karnali, and Tharuwan state committees would be deployed at Padmodaya Mod, Bhadrakali, Maitighar Mandala, Hanumansthan, District Administration Office and Department of Road, respectively.

The CA members of Limbuwan and Kirat state committees will be deployed at Ghattekulo Chowk and CA members of the Kochila State Committee and nominated members would gather near Kalikasthan. SSP Nawa Raj Silwal, chief of the Metropolitan Police Range, said police would

not use excessive force to contain the mob and respect their right

to demonstrate peacefully. He said the Armed Police Force would act as supportive force.

Media consultant of Nepal Tourism Board Sharad Pradhan said the board has warned all the tour operators and the associations about the Maoist agitation and requested them to avoid the trouble spots. President of the Federation of Nepalese National Transport Entrepreneurs Dinesh Bhandary said the local transportation in the Valley would remain disturbed during the Maoist agitation. He also said the entrepreneurs would not support or defy the political movement.

In the third phase, the Maoist are planning to organise strikes.

Valley schools shut

• Valley bandh to be

almost total on Thursday and Friday

• Around 3,000 policemen, the Armed Police

Force personnel, to

be deployed

• Agitators won’t be allowed into the prohibited areas, including the areas surrounding the Singha Durbar, except the eastern side

• Most schools of the

valley to remain shut

for two days