KATHMANDU: The Nepal Police has drawn a Special Security Plan for the Kathmandu Valley covering Bhaktapur and Lalitpur, for close monitoring and control of criminal activities.
Police Command Post
• The Police Command Post for the Kathmandu Valley will be under the authority of the Metropolitan Police Commissioner.
• The Police Command Post for the Kathmandu District will remain in the office of the Metropolitan Police Commissioner.
• The Police Command Post for the Lalitpur District will remain on the premises of the Sub-Metropolis Police office in Lalitpur.
• The Police Command Post for the Bhaktapur District will remain on the premises of the Sub-Metropolis Police office, Bhaktapur.
Fuel for the operation of the deployed police force
• 15 litres of diesel will be provided to heavy motor vehicles per day (one-tonne and two-tonne trucks).
• 10 litres diesel /petrol will be provided to pick-up jeeps, vans and cars per day.
• Five litres petrol will be provided to motorcycles per day.
Role of the National Investigation
• Collection, analysis and dissemination of unlawful information in co-ordination with Nepal Police and the Armed Police Force for implementation of the Special Security Plan.
• Deploy essential security personnel in Kathmandu, Lalitpur and Bhaktapur to undertake investigative and intelligence work in co-ordination with plainclothes personnel.
• Remain in constant contact with the responsible officers of the Valley Command Post and the District Command Posts and co-ordinate with them.
Role of the Armed Police Force
• Provide essential back-up support in line with the guidelines for the effective implementation of the Special Security Plan.
• Seal designated areas.
• Cordon off identified areas for police search and action.
• Maintain essential co-ordination in line with the prescribed guidelines disseminating effective information for the implementation of security and control.
Role of the metropolitanpolice
Restrict violation in the Greenbelt Areas (areas immediately around the ring road), as well as to check illegal setting up of shops/thatches on the footpaths within the metropolis, sub-metropolis and municipalities.
In relation to the Special Security Plan, the Crime Department has prepared a work plan to control crime and illegal activities in the valley, which includes the following:
• The Crime Department will deploy Essential Security Personnel
for the monitoring and control of crime and illegal activities in the three districts of the Kathmandu Valley which includes:
1. Deployment of the Security Team in each of the districts to control and investigate fiscal crimes.
2. Deployment of the Security Team in each of the districts to check hooliganism and anti-social activities.
3. Deployment of the Security Team (with an ambush unit) in each of the districts to control burglaries and thefts.
4. Deployment of the Security Team in each of the districts to monitor and control illegal activities in the dance bars, cabin restaurants and cyber cafes, as well as to check illicit sexual activities.
5. Deployment of the Security Team in each of the districts to monitor the activities of the petty criminals released from the custody
6. All the deployed security personnel will act and undertake their
responsibilities as specified in the Security Guidelines, which includes the provision of essential resources and logistic support (staff, arms and ammunition, transportation) for effective implementation of the Special Security Plan.
The Nepal Police and other enforcement authorities have committed themselves to re-implementing a high-level of vigilance with effective security control against the rising criminal activities and anti-social trends in Nepal. This will be made possible only if the government as a whole, as well as the responsible lawmakers from all the political parties and the common public join hands with Nepal Police for the success of their righteous initiatives.
Special Security Plan for Kathmandu Valley
Published: 04:58 am Sep 09, 2009