THT 10 years ago: Prachanda leaves for New Delhi with ‘changed message’

Kathmandu, November 17, 2006

Maoist supremo Prachanda today left for New Delhi on an invitation to attend a “leadership summit” with a “changed message” in the “changed context.”

The summit being organised by the Hindustan Times group of newspapers got underway today. Prachanda is accompanied by Dr Baburam Bhattarai, Sita Paudel and two of Prachanda’s aides.

Paudel is Prachanda’s wife. Prachanda was supposed to leave for New Delhi yesterday, but could not embark on the trip due to a busy schedule here. “We are going to India with a changed message following the historic change,” Prachanda told reporters before boarding a regular flight of the Nepal Airlines Corporation.

He is also expected to meet some Indian leaders. Replying to a query, he said: “We used to call India a reactionary power just because India used to back constitutional monarchy and parliamentary democracy.

Since India is no longer doing so, there is no need to term India reactionary,” Prachanda said.

Asked how the Indian side would treat him since he happens to be a leader of a banned organisation, Prachanda said the “Indian side will treat us much like how the Nepali people have treated us for quite sometime now.”

He downplayed the chances of meeting Indian leaders, although he said that the Indian side could set free the Maoists leaders and activists who are in Indian jails.

When cops serve terms for crime they didn’t commit

What must have gone in the minds of two policemen when they had to spend years behind the bars for a crime they never committed?

Hatred, disgust, anger, frustation and what not and the climax of the story unfolds fifteen years later when the real culprit meets them to say sorry for whatever they had to undergo.

In 1988, two police personnel  Khul Bahadur Kunwar, 46, and Yagya Bahadur KC, 40  lost their jobs and served four years and seven years in jail respectively, after the Special Police Court found them guilty of stealing two revolvers from the Arsenal of the then Mid-Regional Police Training Centre, Maharajgunj, which they were guarding, when the weapons went missing.

After serving the terms, they were trying to live normal lives in their parental homes when all of a sudden, after 15 years, in 2003, one Ghanashyam Adhikari, a former policeman, approached them separately and revealed the fact that it was he who had stolen the revolvers from the Arsenal they were guarding and said sorry for whatever they had to undergo due to his action.

He also submitted a revolver he had stolen to the police.