Nepal | June 03, 2020

Pentagon releases ‘UFO’ videos taken by US Navy pilots

Agence France Presse
Share Now:

Washington, April 28

The Pentagon has officially released three videos taken by US Navy pilots showing mid-air encounters with what appear to be UFOs.

The grainy black and white footage had previously been leaked and the Navy had acknowledged they were Navy videos.

The Department of Defence said yesterday it was “releasing the videos in order to clear up any misconceptions by the public on whether or not the footage that has been circulating was real, or whether or not there was more to the videos.”

“The aerial phenomena observed in the videos remain characterised as ‘unidentified,’” the Pentagon statement said.

One of videos was shot in November 2004 and the other two in January 2015.

In one, the weapons sensor operator appears to lose lock on a rapidly moving oblong object which seconds later suddenly accelerates away to the left and out of view.

In another video tracking an object above the clouds, one pilot wonders if it is a drone.

“There’s a whole fleet of them. Look on the ASA,” the other says.

“My gosh, they’re all going against the wind! The wind’s 120 knots out of the west!” he said.

“Look at that thing,” the first says as the object starts rotating.

The videos had previously been released by the New York Times and the To The Stars Academy of Arts and Science, a group co-founded by Blink-182 guitarist Tom DeLonge.

After a thorough review, the Pentagon said it determined that “the authorised release of these unclassified videos does not reveal any sensitive capabilities or systems, and does not impinge on any subsequent investigations of military air space incursions by unidentified aerial phenomena.”

Retired US Navy pilot David Fravor who saw one of the “UFOs” in 2004 told CNN the object moved erratically.

“As I got close to it … it rapidly accelerated to the south, and disappeared in less than two seconds,” Fravor told CNN in 2017. “This was extremely abrupt, like a ping pong ball, bouncing off a wall. It would hit and go the other way.”

Former Nevada senator Harry Reid, whose state hosts the top secret Area 51 Air Force facility, welcomed release of the videos.

“I’m glad the Pentagon is finally releasing this footage, but it only scratches the surface of research and materials available,” he tweeted.

“The US needs to take a serious, scientific look at this and any potential national security implications. The American people deserve to be informed.”

In December 2017, the Pentagon acknowledged funding a secret multi-million dollar programme to investigate sightings of UFOs, although it said it had ended in 2012.

The three video clips — “FLIR,” “GOFAST” and “GIMBAL” are available to download on the Naval Air Systems Command website.

A version of this article appears in e-paper on April 29, 2020, of The Himalayan Times.

Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Coronavirus cases in Karnali Province jump to 252 with 54 new infections

KATHMANDU: Fifty-four additional people have tested positive for the coronavirus infection in Karnali Province, on Tuesday. As of today, five districts of the province have witnessed cases of COVID-19. With the newly confirmed infections, number of cases has reached 252 in the province. Until Read More...

Coronavirus study says low humidity aids contagion, will coming humid months help Nepal?

KATHMANDU: A recent study claims that low humidity aids coronavirus outbreak and might recur every year. The study provides evidence that lower relative humidity is associated with Covid-19 cases, under the conditions of high temperature in the southern hemisphere summer. However, it is to be tak Read More...

Fear-triggered attack on healthcare worker in Doti

DHANGADHI: A healthcare worker carrying medical supplies to a health post has been attacked amid the fear of coronavirus transmission in Doti. According to health coordinator at Shikhar Municipality-9 Harish Shah, Auxiliary Health Worker (AHW) Ramesh Kunwar, stationed at Dankot Health Post in the Read More...

Quarantine facilities in Sudurpaschim crammed as returnees from India surge

DHANGADHI: The quarantine facilities across Sudurpaschim Province have become over-crowded due to the influx of incoming Nepali migrant workers from India. As recorded at the Administration Office in Kailali, approximately 2,000 to 5,000 migrant workers have been regularly entering the provin Read More...

Sancho not booked for Floyd protest, slogans being reviewed, says DFB

BERLIN: Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho was not booked for his protest against the death of American George Floyd by a policeman but because he removed his shirt during the game, the German Football Association (DFB) clarified on Monday. Sancho removed his shirt during a goal celebrat Read More...

England's Plunkett open to idea of playing for US

LONDON: Fast bowler Liam Plunkett, who has been left out of England's summer training squad, has said he is open to the idea of playing for the United States one day. The 35-year-old, whose wife is American, has not played for England since claiming three wickets in last year's World Cup fina Read More...

18 discharged after recovering from coronavirus infection in Dharan

DHARAN: As many as eighteen persons have been discharged from Dharan-based BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS) after recovering from COVID-19, on Tuesday. Following two back to back negative results, 17 men from Jhapa and one Dharan native woman were allowed to return home owing Read More...

Highlights: Nepal witnesses highest single-day spike in coronavirus cases

KATHMANDU: Nepal's Health Ministry, in its regular press briefing, shared the latest updates on coronavirus contagion from across the country, and the government’s response to the health crisis. As of today, 75,343 tests through Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method and 116,345 Rapid Diagn Read More...