Armymen overpower Mahabir, BUC win

Kathmandu, August 28:

Defender-turned-striker Ram Kumar Biswas scored four goals as Tribhuvan Army Club (TAC) overpowered Mahabir Club 7-2 in the Martyrs’ Memorial San Miguel ‘A’ Division League Football Tournament here at Dasharath Stadium today. Biswas, who was an Army pillar during the last year’s league where they finished fourth in their debut, capitalised on his height advantage and guided his team to a comfortabe win. Biswas opened the coring in the 24th minute following Shiva Chaudhary’s pass from the right flank. Raju Tamang doubled the tally in the 35th minute on his own. He guided the ball alone from the centre and fired a left-footer but the ball rebounded to play and Tamang scored in an open net. Fed by Mahendra Khawas, Biswas scored his second goal in the 39th minute, while TAC skipper Janamat Karki made it 4-0 in the 45th minute when he tapped in the ball on Shiva Chaudhary’s pass. Biswas headed home the team’s fifth goal following substitute Hari Bahadur Mahato’s pass to complete his hat-trick in the 54th minute. Mahato replaced Biswo Bairag Samal, who was injured in collision with Mahabir defenders and was taken to hospital.

Som Lama reduced the margin to 5-1 in the 58th minute with a fine header on Ramesh Pun’s pass, and added another two minutes later when he dodged a defender before firing past TAC goalkeeper Ram Kumar Chaudhary. Fed by goalkeeper Ram Kumar Chaudhary, Biswas made it 6-2 in the 84th minute when he volleyed home in an open net while Mahabir custodian Min Basnet was not in his proper position. Skipper Janamat Karki, who scored 12 goals in the last year’s league, completed the rout in the dying moments following Biswas’ pass. Apart from Samal, who broke his news during the match, there was another bad news for the Armymen. Some 20 Army fans were involved in the scuffle with the securitymen deployed at the entrace of the VIP parapit.

The security in-charge complained with the organisers and the ANFA contacted the Army, who deployed Military Police at the stadium. At the post-match press conference, TAC coach Lt Col Binod Bista assured the pressmen that such incidents would not happen in future. “We reacted as soon as we came to know about the incident and I promise you that such incidents will not occur in future,” he said. Bista was satisfied with the players’ performance during the match, but said that the new players hired by the team were yet to build the self confidence. Skipper Janamat Karki said admitted that the coordination between the strikers was lacking.

“We had to bring Biswas in the front as demanded by our game, and we will work hard to sharpen our game in the next matches,” said karki. Bishnu Prasad Poudel, Mahabir coach, admitted that his boys could not play to their expectations. “We lack experience and they (Army Club) are a tough club,” said Poudel, who revealed that the club’s target was to finish in super eight.

BUC down Friends’

KATHMANDU: Boys’ Union Club defeated Friends’ Club 2-0 in the league’s another match played later at the Dasharath Stadium. Bijay maharjan opened the scoring in the 22nd minute following a pass from his teammate Binay Chaudhary for a 1-0 first half lead. Bimal Karki doubled the tally in the 69th minute in a dramatic finish. karki had his shot blocked by Friends’ goalkeeper Gautam Das and defender Nur Raj Kafle failed to clear and passed to Karki, who fired the ball in an open net.

Boys’ Union Club, who defeated Friends’ Club in the inaugural match of the Birthday Cup two month ago, dominated the field and created more opportunities. Friends’ Club, who finished fifth in the last year’s league, also had acouple of chances to score but poor finishing and lack of coordination between the strikers cost them the three points. BUC coach Rajendra KC was more than happy to beat Friends’ Club. “We exploited their (Friends’) weak midfield and defence. Out technique of attacking contineously worked and my boys succeeded in scoring goals,” said KC. Friends’ coach Siddi Byanjankar blamed the defence line and the missed opportunities for the team’s loss. “Our midfield was very weak and we also failed to capitalise on the opportunities we got,” he said.