Boys Union Club hold winless RCT

Himalayan News Service

Kathmandu, May 15:

Sunil Subedi scored the late equaliser as Boys Union Club (BUC) held Ranipokhari Corner Team (RCT) to a 1-1 draw in the day’s match of the Martyrs’ Memorial Everest ‘A’ Division League Football Tournament here at Dasharath Stadium today. RCT took lead through Kendra Limbu in the 34th minute, when he headed the ball into the net on his skipper Madhu Karki’s free kick rebound. Karki’s free kick from just outside the D-lin hit the cross bar and Limbu headed the ball in an open net. In the 66th minute, Sunil Subedi of BUC headed the equaliser on Suraj Khaling’s free kick from the right flank.

RCT were unlucky as their two goals were adjudged off side. In a closely contested match, both the teams missed a couple of chances. In the 10th minute, Suman Shrestha of BUC failed to convert from penalty area. Kendra Limbu muffed up a chance in the 19th minute.

RCT custodian Dilip Chettri made a couple of good saves. In the 23rd minute, he gathered Bhupendra Lama’s attempt on Sunil Subedi’s cross. Chettri saved a close-range attempt of Utsav KC in the 29th minute. KC missed a chance again in the 51st minute as his long powerful shot went above the cross bar. Utsav missed a chance again in the 27th minute on Sagar Ghimire’s cross.

The 49th minute offered BUC a chance to level the score but Sunil Subedi ended up with a wide shot from the penalty area. BUC glovesman Deepak Dangol saved his team from loss in the 24th minute, when he foiled RCT striker Dilli Ram Shrestha’s close-range attempt. Dangol again saved a close chance in the 69th minute when he foiled Shrestha’s attempt in the 68th minute.

Binod Shahi of RCT came close to scoring in the 69th minute but the ball went out hitting the inner edge of the cross bar. Sunil Subedi of BUC failed to net the ball from the penalty box in the 75th minute and ended up with a wide shot. RCT boys struggled for the winners till the last moment. Ajit Thapa almost scored in the dying moments but BUC skipper Bijay Maharjan headed the ball out when his custodian Deepak Dangol was nowhere to save the ball.

Referee Dilip Rajak cautioned RCT goalkeeper Dilip Chettri and Rabin Maharjan and Utsav KC of BUC.

Fight-master Gyawali!

KATHMANDU: The handful of spectators at the Dasharath Stadium were surprised to see a RCT player come to the parapit and beat his club supporter. Ramesh Gyawali of RCT went to the parapit after the match ended at 1-1 draw and beat his club supporter. The supporter, who comes to the stadium to watch his favourite club RCT play in almost every match, praised Gyawali ironically when he was substituted after his lackluster performance. Unlike other sportspersons, who ignore the spectators’ comments, Gyawali failed to keep up the sportsman spirit and lost his temper. Gyawali first warned from the players’ box and went on to punch the spectator. However, the security took control over the situation. Now, it’s up to All Nepal Football Association to take action against this rowdy player. One thing is for sure, if the situation remains the same — spectators being punched and kicked frequently — the handful of the spectators who have been coming at the stadium would definitely opt to stay back home.