Emburey rules himself out of coaching job in India
London, June 13:
John Emburey has ruled out becoming India’s next full-time coach in the wake of Graham Ford’s decision to turn down the role. Emburey and Ford were both interviewed for the vacant position on Saturday.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had made it clear Ford was their first choice but there had been speculation they might turn to Emburey after former South African coach Ford decided to stay in his current role as director of cricket at English county Kent.
Emburey however pre-empted any such move by announcing that he would be staying at Middlesex, where he is the director of cricket. A statement from the county said Emburey had informed chief executive Vinny Codrington of his decision.
“John would like to emphasise that at no point was he offered the role as India Coach and would like to thank the BCCI for the opportunity to interview for the position,” it said.
Emburey added: “I have just got my teeth in to a big new challenge at Middlesex and want to stay to complete the job.”
Earlier on Tuesday, India announced that former player Chandu Borde would serve as manager/coach for the upcoming tours of Ireland, Scotland and England.