Liverpool reassesses further Anfield expansion after protest
Liverpool owner John Henry says fan protests against ticket prices are causing the club to reassess plans to further redevelop Anfield.
Henry's Fenway Sports Group apologized to fans earlier this year and reversed planned rises in ticket prices after a walkout during a game.
But having funded the redevelopment of Liverpool's main stand over the last year, the next phase of the expansion program might not make economic sense if the club can't recoup the construction cost. The Anfield Road stand had been next in line for rebuilding at the 54,000-capacity Anfield.
"I don't know if there is a next step because ticket prices are an issue in England," Henry said. "That may foreclose further expansion. We'll have to see."
Henry was speaking Tuesday at Yankee Stadium where his baseball team, the Boston Red Sox, was playing the New York Yankees.
Liverpool has opened its first full season with Juergen Klopp in charge by winning four of its six Premier League games. The German signed a contract extension in July through 2022.
"He was a perfect fit for Liverpool, for the culture of the club, for the supporters, for the kind of team that we were trying to build," Henry said. "We couldn't have asked for a better fit."
With no European matches this season, Liverpool is chasing a top-four finish to return to the Champions League.
From the 2018-19 season, entry into the Champions League group stage is easier for English clubs with the Premier League's fourth-place team no longer having to go through a playoff.
The "market pool" system, which steers UEFA prize money to clubs in England, Germany, and Italy, where the broadcasting deals are bigger, will be changed to reward better historical results in the competition. That should help Liverpool as a five-time European champion but see income drop for Manchester City, which has never won the continent's top prize.
The Champions League changes were agreed by a small number of club officials and UEFA, with the rest of Europe not knowing the outcome until the announcement in August.
Henry said he was aware of other teams in England "obviously not happy with the UEFA deal."
"The changes weren't really discussed with us, they were implemented essentially. They unilaterally made changes to the market pool and there should have been I think more discussion. But I can tell you that the (Premier League) owners were not happy ... at least among the clubs that I speak with."