LONDON: Andy Murray insisted on Sunday that he can keep a lid on sky-high expectations that he is about to end a 73-wait for a British male Wimbledon champion.

Murray, bidding to be the first home winner since Fred Perry in 1936, took just 96 minutes to see off Serbia's Viktor Troicki in the third round on Saturday, allowing just a single break point and firing 17 aces.

His next match is Monday against Swiss Olympic doubles gold medallist Stanislas Wawrinka with the winner heading to the quarter-finals.

But the third seeded Murray refuses to get swept away by the desperate hopes of home supporters.

"I'd love to get to the final, but there's a lot of tennis to be played in the second week," said the Scotsman whose best showing here was a last eight place in 2008 where he was beaten by Rafael Nadal.

The Spaniard went to take the title from Roger Federer but is absent through injury this year, a factor which has only served to increase the hype.

"There is expectation from the media and the people who read the newspapers. That's where the expectation gets bigger and greater.

"But I don't try to do anything different. It's just one of those things that you get used to dealing with. I have never had a problem dealing with it in the past and I would be surprised if that changes next week." Murray put on a show fit for the 24 Olympic champions watching on from the royal box, one of whom was compatriot Sir Chris Hoy, the four-time cycling gold medallist.

"I got the chance to meet him afterwards. He's a very, very successful guy. I didn't really know whether to call him Sir. I didn't know how that works. I think I called him Chris." Murray eased to a 6-2, 6-3, 6-4 win over 23-year-old Troicki.

Despite the dark clouds over Centre Court, which heralded the end of a day when temperatures had smashed through 30 degrees, Murray brightened the proceedings with a convincing display of serving.

He broke in the sixth and eighth games of the first set to take the opener and carved out another break in the second game of the second set.

With rain threatening, Murray hurried through the decider with a break in the first game and wrapped up victory with his 17th ace.

"It was a very good performance," said Murray.

"I felt a little uncomfortable at the start and the conditions were difficult with the rain and clouds.

"But I was more comfortable after the first set and I'm happy with my first week here.

"I have to play better next week if I want to win the title."