NRT overcome; BUC hold JYC

Himalayan News Service

Kathmandu, June 10:

Boys Union Club (BUC) and Jawalakhel Youth Club (JYC) played a 1-1 draw while New Road Team (NRT) defeated defending champions Manang Marsyangdi Club (MMC) 2-1 in the day’s matches of the Martyrs’ Memorial Everest ‘A’ Division League football tournament here today.

With today’s victory, Boys Union Club remain at 11th spot with six points, ahead of Mahabir Club and Kathmandu Club, and JYC, with 12 points went down to seventh place in the standings. Adding three points for the victory, NRT moved two spots up at the sixth place with 13 points behind Friends Club, also with 13 points on goal differences. MMC still hold the third place with 22 points, behind Mahendra Police Club. Three Star Club lead the standing with 23 points. At Dasharath Stadium, MMC took lead through its star striker Basanta Thapa in 48th minute. Thapa headed the ball from the D-Box. Basanta Thapa, added another goal to make it 11, lead the goal standings. In the 63rd minute, substitute Yugal Kishor Rai made it 1-1. Rai headed the ball from close range following Subhash Rai’s corner. In the 86th minute, Rai easily decieving MMC custodian Binod Dangol sealed the victory following a long pass from the right flank from its skipper Ranjit Singh. Earlier, BUC took lead through Utsav KC in the first half injury time where KC well controlled the ball before scoring. In the 58th minute, JYC’s Ishwor Rana scored the equaliser on Manoj Thapa’s cross. In the first match, the 16th minute offered a good chance for BUC but JYC goalkeeper Bikash Malla denied Sunil Subedi’s close range attempt. Subedi again missed a change on one-to-one situation with Malla in the 61st minute.

Anil Gurung of JYC missed a golden opportunity in the 31st minute as he ended up with a wide shot. BUC custodian Deepak Dangol saved Rojit KC’s powerful attempt made from outside the D-Box in the 42nd minute. MMC missed as many as five close chances to score as in the 23rd minute, Rajan Rayamajhi ended up with a wide shot following Tashi Tshering’s pass. Fed by Rayamajhi, Tashi again failed to net the ball as his free header went above the cross bar in the 33rd minute.

MMC skipper too could not perform as expected, as in the 40th minute his powerful shot from the left flank was brilliantly punched back to play by NRT goalkeeper Nirjhar Shrestha. MMC proved unlucky in the 78th minute as Basanta Thapa’s attempt on Basanta Gauchan’s pass was deflected hitting the outer edge of the post. In the 89th minute, MMC faced similar circumstance when Rajesh Shahi’s attempt too was denied. NRT coach Maheshwor Mulmi seemed happy over their victory. He said, "The match was as expected and my boys performed well". Raju Shakya told the media, "We had to defeat the champions to reach Super Six and so did we make it".