SYDNEY: Cricket Australia said on Friday it had withdrawn its contract offer to disgraced allrounder Andrew Symonds, sent home from the World Twenty20 after the latest in a series of alcohol-related indiscretions.

“Cricket Australia has advised Andrew Symonds that his contract offer for the next contract year (starting July 1) has been withdrawn,” CA general manager of operations Michael Brown said. “Selectors have convened and have added (fast bowler) Shaun Tait to the contract list for the coming year.”

Brown said he hoped Symonds would continue to play domestic cricket in Australia. But Symonds, who is deciding on his future plans after also fielding interest from England and South Africa, has advised Queensland Cricket not to include him on their contract list for next season.

“Andrew has been upfront with us and made a very selfless gesture by advising us not to contract him,” Queensland Cricket chief executive Graham Dixon said. “He knows the door is open here and we look forward to catching up with him when he’s ready to have a chat about what his plans might be.”

Tait’s new contract comes after he was controversially omitted from the original list last month. It sparked an angry response from the 26-year-old express bowler. “Shaun was disappointed (at the time),” Brown said. “He wants to play for Australia. He’s a had a horrific run of injuries in recent times.”

“Shaun at his best is an important part of our one-day international and Twenty20 make-up and I’m sure he will now seize the opportunity presented to him with this offer of a further Australian contract,” selection chairman Andrew Hilditch said.