Teimet wins in Seoul

SEOUL: Sylvester Teimet ran a personal best time to break the course record and lead a Kenyan sweep of the podium at the Seoul International Marathon on Sunday. Teimet pulled ahead in the final seconds to win the race in 2 hours, 6 minutes, 49 seconds. His time was 3 minutes, 4 seconds faster than his previous best of 2:09:53 and beat South African Gert Thys’ 2004 course record of 2:07:06. In the women’s race, Amane Gobena from Ethiopia won with a time of 2:24:13, ahead of China’s Chunxiu Zhou (2:25:01). — AP

Varela doubtful

LISBON: Portuguese striker Silvestre Varela suffered a broken leg while training with his Porto teammates on Saturday that could rule him out of the World Cup. “He suffered a dislocation of the left ankle and fractured his leg,” said a club spokesman, who added that the 25-year-old winger will miss the rest of the season. Varela had been preparing for Sunday’s League Cup final against Benfica when the incident happened. He made his international debut in the friendly match against China on March 3. — AFP

Blatter in Saudi Arabia

RIYADH: FIFA president Sepp Blatter will spend time in Saudi Arabia this week hoping to drum up support for his bid to be re-elected to a fourth mandate. Blatter, first elected in 1998, is currently in his third term as FIFA president and hopes to get re-elected in June 2011. He is expected to be opposed by France’s Michel Platini, the current chief of UEFA, and Qatar’s Mohammad Ben Hammam. — AFP

Nadal eyes Miami

INDIAN WELLS: Rafael Nadal’s bid for a second straight Indian Wells Masters 1000 title ended with a semi-final exit, but the Spaniard was encouraged by his first tournament in six weeks. “I am feeling I am playing well enough to do something important in Miami. I have to learn to try to play more aggressive next time and try to convert the opportunities.” Nadal was playing for the first time since a knee injury forced him out of the Australian Open quarter-finals against Andy Murray. — AFP

Kirkland hit by coin

WIGAN: Wigan’s dramatic last-gasp win over Burnley on Saturday was marred by their England goalkeeper Chris Kirkland being struck by a coin thrown from the crowd. The match was halted by referee Mike Jones in the 53rd minute for Kirkland to receive treatment after he was struck by the missile that appeared to have been launched from behind the goal, where Burnley fans were massed. Kirkland was able to continue, producing a vital save from David Nugent in the dying stages moments prior to Hugo Rodallega heading home the only goal of the game. — AFP