Nepal | August 07, 2020

New Zealand prepares to enter lockdown as coronavirus cases surge

Reuters
Share Now:
  • NZ to move to highest alert in 48 hours
  • Country preparing to go into self-isolation
  • Move will save tens of thousands of lives – PM Ardern
  • Restaurants, pubs, cafes, schools and offices to be shut

WELLINGTON: New Zealand said on Monday it will move to its highest alert level imposing self-isolation, with all-non-essential services, schools and offices to be shut over the next 48 hours as the number of coronavirus cases more than double.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the decisions will place the most significant restriction on New Zealanders’ movements in modern history, but it was needed to save lives and slow the virus.

“We are all now preparing to go into self-isolation as a nation,” Ardern said in a news conference, adding that tens of thousands of New Zealanders could die without these measures.

People lined up outside supermarkets shortly after the announcement to stack up essentials, despite assurances from the government that there were sufficient supplies and stores will remain open.

Crowds were also expected at domestic airports as New Zealanders return home before complete lockdown takes effect for the next four weeks.

Police Chief Mike Bush said more officers will be seen across the country to make sure instructions are followed and order is maintained.

“We don’t want to get to a place where we need to enforce these instructions, but we will if required,” Bush told reporters.

The number of coronavirus cases in New Zealand shot up to 102, more than double since Friday, as the country reported 36 new infections. New Zealand has had no deaths.

Ardern said the cabinet agreed that effective immediately, the country of 5 million people would move into alert level 3 nationwide, and after 48 hours it will be at the highest level 4. New Zealand has already closed its borders to foreigners.

Ardern said all bars, restaurants, cafes, gyms, cinemas, pools, museums, libraries, playgrounds and any other place where the public congregate must close their face-to-face function.

She said supermarkets, doctors, pharmacies, service stations, access to essential banking services will all be available throughout New Zealand at every alert level.

The move comes after neighbouring Australia, which has thousands of COVID-19 cases, started lockdown measures on Monday, but has stopped short of self-isolation.

Schools will be closed from Tuesday, except for children of essential workers such as our doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers and police. Schools will close entirely from midnight Wednesday.

Workplaces were asked to implement alternative ways of working.

MORE STIMULUS

New Zealand‘s stock market reacted immediately to the announcement plunging 10% to biggest intraday percentage drop ever.

The Reserve Bank of New Zealand (RBNZ) announced quantitative easing earlier on Monday as it decided to buy up NZ$30 billion ($17 billion) worth of government bonds to offset the impact of the coronavirus.

Last week, the RBNZ slashed rates by 75 basis points and the government rolled out a NZ$12.1 billion fiscal stimulus package to support businesses and citizens.

Finance Minister Grant Robertson said further support will come soon, including removing the cap on the wage subsidy scheme, which will inject a further NZ$4 billion into the economy over the next eleven weeks.

He announced temporary support for mortgage holders, a business finance guarantee scheme and a freeze on all rent increases.

“We cannot guarantee to stop all job losses, but we are doing our best to cushion the blow,” Robertson said.

New Zealand‘s opposition National Party said it had put on hold its campaign for a general election on September 19. Ardern said there was no impact on the election for now.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

International Commission of Jurists calls for transparency and justice

KATHMANDU: International Commission of Jurists (ICJ), an international non-government organisation which works as advocate for justice and human rights, has called upon the Government of Nepal to undertake substantial reforms in order to ensure that the wide-ranging constitutional and political re Read More...

Industry's violation of COVID-19 safety protocol causes virus transmission in community

DHARAN: An industry has been held responsible for transmission of coronavirus at community level in Dharan Sub-metropolitan City of Sunsari district.  Negligence on the part of Priti Valve and Fittings Industries Pvt Ltd located in the Industrial Area of Dharan-8 has been  blamed for local Read More...

Kathmandu valley sees highest daily-tally as 87 cases surface Thursday

KATHMANDU: As many as 87 Covid-19 cases were reported in Kathmandu valley in the last 24 hours, the highest single day tally recorded yet. Of the 87 cases, 76 cases were identified in Kathmandu alone while Lalitpur reported ten infections. Only one case was detected in Bhaktapur district on Thurs Read More...

Highest number of deaths registered in a single day in Nepal, five reported in 24 hrs

KATHMANDU: Five more fatalities related to the coronavirus infection have been reported today by the Ministry of Health and Population. This is the highest single-day deaths recorded in Nepal. A 45-year-old male from Rangeli Municipality-8 of Morang passed away on Wednesday, August 5. He had just Read More...

Man City sign Bournemouth defender Ake

LONDON: Manchester City have signed defender Nathan Ake from Bournemouth on a five-year deal, the Premier League club announced on Wednesday. Financial details of the transfer were not disclosed but British media reported City paid Bournemouth 40 million pounds ($52 million) to sign the 25-year-o Read More...

Cabals and Cartels: Book launched in socially-distanced event

KATHMANDU: Rajib Upadhya, a formal journalist and longtime development professional, has come out with a book that argues that the cabals and the cartels, the dark underbelly of the transitioning Nepal, will hollow out every prospect for the change that we are still pining for if they are left to th Read More...

Vivo pulls 2020 IPL sponsorship amid China backlash

NEW DELHI/MUMBAI: China's Vivo will not be the title sponsor of this year's Indian Premier League (IPL), the Indian cricket board (BCCI) said on Thursday, amid a growing backlash against Chinese companies in India. Smartphone maker Vivo had secured the IPL sponsorship rights for 2018-2022 for Read More...