Pak begins trial for seven ‘attackers’ in 26/11 case
RAWALPINDI: Seven suspects accused by India of involvement in last year’s Mumbai terror attacks that killed 166 people were today produced in an anti-terror court in Pakistan, a defence lawyer said.
“Both defence and prosecution lawyers gave their arguments in the proceedings, the proceedings lasted for about three hours”, defence lawyer Shahbaz Rajput said.
He declining to provide further details saying the judge had advised both sides against it.
The November 26-29 siege of the Indian city left more than 300 people injured when 10 heavily armed gunmen targeted luxury hotels, the city’s main railway station, a popular restaurant and a Jewish centre.
Relations between the two nuclear-armed rivals worsened dramatically after the carnage that New Delhi blamed on the banned Pakistani militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.
Journalists were not allowed to witness the court proceedings, which were held behind closed doors.
The court convened in a special room set up in
the high-security Adiala
jail in Rawalpindi, a garrison city adjoining the capital,