Nepal | May 29, 2020

Trump aides call US strikes on Iraq and Syria ‘successful,’ warn of potential further action

Reuters
Share Now:

WASHINGTON/BAGHDAD: US officials said on Sunday that air strikes in Iraq and Syria against an Iran-backed militia group were successful, but warned that “additional actions” may still be taken in the region to defend US interests.

The US military carried out the strikes on Sunday against the Kataib Hezbollah militia group in response to the killing of a US civilian contractor in a rocket attack on an Iraqi military base, officials said.

US President Donald Trump was briefed by his top national security advisers following the strikes at his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida.

“We will not stand for the Islamic Republic of Iran to take actions that put American men and women in jeopardy,” US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters after the briefing with Trump.

Pompeo, Defense Secretary Mark Esper and General Mark Milley, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, appeared briefly in a club ballroom to comment on the airstrikes.

Esper termed the offensive “successful,” but said that Trump was informed that a further military response could be warranted.

“We discussed with him other options that are available,” Esper said. “I would note also that we will take additional actions as necessary to ensure that we act in our own self-defence and we deter further bad behaviour from militia groups or from Iran.”

Iraqi security and militia sources said at least 25 militia fighters were killed and at least 55 wounded following three US air strikes in Iraq on Sunday.

At least four local Kataib Hezbollah commanders were among the dead, the sources said, adding that one of the strikes had targeted the militia group’s headquarters near the western Qaim district on the border with Syria.

The Pentagon said it had targeted three locations of the Iranian-backed Shi’ite Muslim militia group in Iraq and two in Syria. The locations included weapons storage facilities and command and control locations the group had used to plan and execute attacks on coalition forces, it said.

A US official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the strikes were carried out by F-15 fighter jets.

The United States had accused Kataib Hezbollah of carrying out a strike involving more than 30 rockets on Friday which killed the US civilian contractor and injured four US service members and two members of the Iraqi Security Forces near the oil-rich city of Kirkuk.

“In response to repeated Kata’ib Hizbollah attacks on Iraqi bases that host Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR) coalition forces, US forces have conducted precision defensive strikes … that will degrade KH’s ability to conduct future attacks against OIR coalition forces” chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement.

Earlier this month, Pompeo blamed Iranian-backed forces for a series of attacks on bases in Iraq and warned Iran that any attacks by Tehran or proxies that harmed Americans or allies would be “answered with a decisive US response.”

Tensions have heightened between Tehran and Washington since last year when Trump pulled the United States out of Tehran’s 2015 nuclear deal with six powers and reimposed sanctions that have crippled Iran’s economy.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Larry Kramer, playwright and AIDS activist, dies at 84

NEW YORK: Larry Kramer, the playwright whose angry voice and pen raised theatergoers’ consciousness about AIDS and roused thousands to militant protests in the early years of the epidemic, has died at 84. Bill Goldstein, a writer who was working on a biography of Kramer, confirmed the news to T Read More...

Cases registered against two lockdown violators in Udayapur

GAIGHAT: Police have registered cases against two youths who were arrested on Tuesday for violating lockdown in Udayapur district. The arrested have been identified as Surendra Gupta and Rakesh Sah, both in their 30s. Lalpatta-based police post arrested the duo after they were found bringing t Read More...

Police recover two muzzle-loader guns in Kohalpur

NEPALGUNJ: Armed Police Force personnel recovered two abandoned muzzle-loader guns in Kohalpur Municipality-8 in Banke district, today. Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Shyam Kumar Karki said that they recovered the weapons along with ammunition, shrapnel shells, and other items under Sikta Read More...

Stray Kids to return with GO LIVE on June 17

KATHMANDU: Here is a piece of good news that Stays have been waiting for — Stray Kids have just announced their comeback. Soompi reports that on May 28, Stray Kids revealed a GO LIVE trailer for their return. The video shares that their first album GO LIVE is coming out on June 17. T Read More...

Celeb couple Lee Dong-gun, Jo Youn-hee end 3-year marriage

KATHMANDU: South Korean celebrity couple Lee Dong-gun and Jo Youn-hee have legally parted ways following a three-year marriage, according to the latter's agency reports The Korea Herald on May 28. "Jo Young-hee divorced Lee Dong-gun following a divorce settlement at a court in Seoul on May 22," Read More...

Neha's daughter crashes live audition wanting to play with mama

MUMBAI: Indian Neha Dhupia was interrupted by daughter Mehr during a live audition for her reality show. As she was unable to attend to the child, Dhupia became emotional, and exclaimed, "I am such a bag of emotions right now". The actress was in middle of an audition for popular adventure realit Read More...

KJo plays 'rapid fire' with his twins

KATHMANDU: Bollywood filmmaker and TV show host Karan Johar is back with the 'rapid fire' round of his 'Koffee With Karan'. And his guests are none other than his two children — Yash and Roohi. In his latest video posted on his Instagram, Johar is seen playing his popular rapid fire round with Read More...